main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Mobile Broadband

Strange excessive data use on mobile broadband

17: Community Champion

I've just had a look at the Updates settings for W10 on my laptop. The critical bits as far as data usage is concerned seem to be as illustrated below:

Update 1.JPGUpdate 2.JPG

Not all of these are controllable. However, there are people earlier in this thread who mention the speeds that they can achieve over MBB, and the 900MB-ish chunks of data don't seem to be possible if the time stamps are indications of when the usage occurs.

Anyone with a contract which started after 5 May 2016 can turn on the account-level data cap, and might be well advised to do so, to avoid the danger of unexpected data charges; it should be noted that the cap is OFF by default. If your contract started before that date, the data cap isn't available, but it might be worth thinking about an upgrade to a new contract, in order to benefit from the data cap.

View more options

An additional way in which Windows 10 can use data is the Spotlight option for the Lock Screen. I thoroughly enjoy this feature, particularly now that they tell you where the photos were taken, and I save copies of the most attractive. BUT I reckon that it uses anything up to 5-10MB per day, so it's a feature to turn off if you are running on a tight data allowance - the control is under Settings: Personalisation: Lock Screen.

View more options

@jojie4584 We'd like to take a closer look into this for you.

So we can do this, I've sent you a private message with details to contact our team directly. 

We'll then be in touch as soon as possible.

View more options
2: Seeker

Thank you @Natasha . I have filled the form in. I hope it did it right!

After going back to the Vodafone store, the nice lady put a note on my account to ask for my bill to be recalculated. I have spent the last hour on Online Chat, to be told that my bill is correct and I either downloaded something or my laptop updated.

I have checked the settings on my laptop and it says downloads only take place on an unmetered connection. I looked at my update history and no updates occured on the 14th August. I did get a message saying I was near my data limit but I did not see this until it was too late. I don't have the Vodafone app open on my laptop because I have never gone over my limit so have never needed to keep an eye out.

£84.50 isn't a lot compared to some people's wrong bills but it's irritating me and it is a lot of money for me to fork out, especially for something I have not used!

View more options

@jojie4584 did you get an automated reply with a reference number (similar to [#12345678]) in the subject line?

View more options

Nope :smileyembarrassed:

View more options

Try submitting again @jojie4584, once it's successful you'll get an email with a reference number. If I recall correctly Yahoo addresses seem to cause the form a particular issue, you're not using one of

If I recall correctly Yahoo addresses seem to cause the form a particular issue, you're not using one of them, are you? If so might be worth trying a different email if you have, alternatively, @Natasha may be able to suggest an alternative contact method.

View more options

It worked this time. Thank you :smileyhappy:

View more options

@jojie4584 - Thanks for sending us your details.

I’ll be in touch within the next hour.

View more options

Thanks for contacting me. Sorry I missed your call. I should be available for the rest of the day.

View more options
4: Newbie

Haven't followed this post in a while. Had problems with  unexplained excessive data usage and being unable to cap data plan which resulted in a massive bill. All this is detailed in earlier posts. All was finally resolved and the cap was applied as I wished since March. However the last 2 months I have been billed for the 250mb @ £6.50 on numerous occasions when I ran out of data. I got refunded £26 on the first month and this latest bill shows £6.50 again. How can I incur these charges when the plan has a data cap? The online help operator was unable to explain last time. 

View more options

It sounds as if the Data Cap is not working although it is showing as applied. I have been worried about this myself and keep a very close eye on my usage so as not to go over as I have no trust in the Cap working properly. I hope someone from VF can help you with this and explain what is going on.

View more options

Definitely doesn't work. Be interesting to know if Vodafone would offer a refund for out of bundle usage for a larger amount when the cap is on. I was only billed for £26 but I just wish for my service to stop at 50gb. I had no issue getting refunded

View more options

Elaines35 wrote:

I had no issue getting refunded

You shouldn`t have to be claiming refunds and contacting VF every month. If a data cap is available it should work,other networks can do it so VF need to sort it out. This has been an ongoing problem for far too long.

View more options

Yes I agree and I thought I was sorted. Speed is fantastic and I have to be careful with data usage but I'm aware I have only 50gb. If only they could get their system bugs sorted

View more options

So we can take a look into your data cap for you @Elaines35, I've sent you a private message to contact our team.

We'll be in touch as soon as possible once we receive your details.

View more options

My mobile BB went off today and remained so , thought I`d check on usage using another connection and it showed I`d used my monthy allowance up. I was was aware of getting close (ish) to the limit but there was still 5gb left yesterday and that has now been used up despite me only doing general surfing and no streaming etc. but I`m not going to start that debate again, I`m posting to say that at least the data cap kicked in and saved me from a potentially unexpected bill so it does work, at least in my case. Hopefully fibre BB will be available in my area within the next 6-9 months so I can get rid of VF.

View more options