main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Mobile Broadband

Strange excessive data use on mobile broadband

5: Helper

The monthly price is good but if I could get out I would. Unless the cap works it is no use running up supposed £500 bills. Between that and the very poor customer service I've had enough and only been back with then for just over 1 month. We were about to switch 8 connections from O2 to them but no way that will be happening now.

View more options
17: Community Champion

Spot on @TomW500

Your usage looks pretty similar, including some strange numbers, over the same timeframe as @Elaines35

Hopefully, with the mounting evidence, the eForum team will be able to put pressure on whoever they need to to have it investigated properly and the issues resolved ASAP.

View more options
4: Newbie
It seems the Vodafone people have gone missing. No comment or feedback!! As of last night the cap still wasn't active on my plan after the man telling me from the complaints team that it would be looked at and sorted out. This was on Thursday evening. Quite worrying that I have plan which can charge for excessive amounts of data ( which I didn't use) and I can't add the cap.
View more options
3: Seeker

@Elaines35 that isn't good. On the data cap note I did try to add it to mine over the weekend but couldn't find where to do it. The help pages said to login to my account to do it which I did but if there is an option to do it it isn't very easy to find or I am misisng something completely obvious.

Either way I cannot confirm if I have the same issue with my account yet

View more options

@jeffdawson78 @Elaines35 @TomW500 As data usage is recorded directly from your SIM, our systems therefore can't fabricate your usage/charges.

If you'd like our team to investigate your bills, please get in touch via Live Chat

View more options
JeffDawson it's in my Vodafone. Manage you extras>manage data> UK data cap. Try and switch it on and let us know the outcome
View more options
Rahim I contacted the complaints team was they were unwilling to listen to my argument. Do you nto think the reoccurring data amount's are a bit strange ? Some of mines and Jeff's matched to the exact 100th of a mb. All my devices were on sleep and I'm unable to find what would have used 13gb or so overnight. I have set my streaming apps to the lowest resoultion, so they wouldn't have used the data that has racked up if they had of been left on by mistake.amazon video uses 0.6gb per hour on the lowest setting.. Plus a movie lasts on average 1h30m therefore would have stopped. Also if this non functional cap had of been applied as I wished there would have been no over run. All I wish is for the full amount to be credited and the cap applied.
View more options

Rahim

Chat has been un-attended every time I tried it last week and I have been told many times that I cannot query the data usage until it has been billed. Even though I have had to pay for it!

No idea if your system is fabricating usage but I fully beleive the usage shown is wrong and, as other have said, if I had been able to monitor or cap the usage I would have switched it off before 50Gb not a week later at 72 when it was too late.

View more options
I was able to raise a complaint and query the usage before the bill was generated.

My Vodafone is ineffective and the app doesn't work because the sim has to be in the device that the app is installed on. With ee the app could be installed on any device and I logged into my account and got real time usage data. As my sim is in a Huawei hub , any service or data usage mesages are sent to the hub and unless I am checking it continously I don't see the messages. Perhaps if Vodafone could send the messages to another number at least the bills could be stopped sooner. Tom your usage seemed to spike like mines but Vodafone are refusing to acknowledge there might be an issue. As explained earlier I have to be very careful about data usage as I'm aware streaming/downloading can use a lot if data. I have all my devices set to use as little as possible so that's the reason I'm sure the usage log is wrong in my case.
View more options
My EE data sim came capped as standard. Once the 32gb was gone I topped up when I needed.
View more options
Which is exactly how your Vodafone one should work, if the data cap had worked correctly! 😡

View more options
Correct👍
View more options

@Elaines35 I'm glad to hear you've been in contact with our advisers regarding this. Has this now been resolved for you? 

@TomW500 So we can offer further help, I've sent you a private message with details of how to get in touch with us. 

View more options

Colleen

Done that and while I await a response may I just say thanks for sending that. It is the only sign of anyone at Vodafone showing any interest in this in more than a week since I started trying to sort it out.

View more options

@TomW500 I'm very sorry to hear this. We'll be happy to help in any way we can and will be in touch as soon as possible. 

View more options

@Colleen .Yes and no. I have been credited the remainder of the £182 which I have been disputing so that has been sorted. The data cap hasn't been sorted yet. The advisor last night contacted the tech people who we thought had applied the uk data cap. However after logging into My Vodafone there it seems the data bar has been added (blocks all data) and the Uk data cap button is still unchecked. Still unsure whether it is active or not. Perhaps you could check into this and pm me ?

View more options
3: Seeker

@Elaines35 glag you have resolved your issue.

Re the data cap I have tried 3 times to set it over the last 2 days. Each time it says I'll get a text to confirm it but I've had nothing. Mistakenly set the data bar and that worked fine!

I'd like to set it as I don't want another bunch of unexplained data to appear on my usage and end up ahving to go through what you have.

@Coleen if you could raise this as an issue to be looked into that would be great

View more options

Thats fantastic news @Elaines35 I'm glad you've got your money back.

It sounds like there is indeed an issue with the data cap, hopefully @Colleen and the team will be able to get this investigated and ultimately fixed 😊

View more options
I contacted the online chat last night after posting to check if the UK data cap was active which they told me it wasn't. So they applied it (again) but as of yet it's still not on. The man from the UK call centre the previous night who sorted the refund told me he talked to the tech people who were able to over ride the system. It's either not on or its on but not showing on my Vodafone. I would rather be clear about it before using the sim again or failing that I may cancel completely as I'm running out of patience
View more options

What an outfit! After all the hassles, and having paid the £500 while we wait to lodge a complaint, I called them yesterday having been on hold on "chat" for 30 min, to check all was okay. I wanted to be sure when it reset overnight last night that we would be back to our 50Gb allowance and not the rip-off rates. I was assured that it was and all would be fine today.

Well here is a shocker for everyone - IT IS DISCONNECTED! Aparently due to exceeding our data allowance - classic!

Currently back on hold with 1 of my many new South African friends who keeps telling to that is it sorted and to restart it. You'll guess the outcome of that.

Update - Got it going after 20 min.

All fair enough if I hadn't been assured yesterday that this would not be the case!

View more options