Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Strange excessive data use on mobile broadband

jeffdawson78
4: Newbie

Hi,

I've very recently - 9 days ago - signed up to Vodafone mobile broadband 50GB plan using there mifi mobile router for use at home on my boat with our laptops.

As I have not used this before I have been keen to see how the speeds compare to my old Plusnet broadband and keep an eye on data usage.

I was therefore very surprised to see my account saying I had used 13GB of data over 2 nights! I checked the usage breakdown and saw a number of very strange readings of the same amount at small intervals:

16 Jan 2107
18:34  990.03 MB
19:33 990.03 MB
21:07 967.97 MB
21:25 990.03 MB
21:41 967.97 MB
21:57 765.02 MB
22:10 967.97 MB
22:30 199.16 MB

17 Jan 2017
07:09 11.49 MB
20.21 990.03 MB
20:35 967.97 MB
20:49 990.03 MB
21:05 967.97 MB
21:21 495.01 MB
21;28 967.97 MB
21:47 990.03 MB

22:05 234.86 MB 

On the 16 I did download a couple of shows from iplayer (approx 1.5GB) but nothing to use anywhere near that much data. 

I called the supprot line this morning but whilst courteous weren't able to do anything other than suggest visiting a store.

Has anyone experienced similar issues and how did you resolve it?

Thanks for any advice!

349 REPLIES 349

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@jojie4584 - Thanks for sending us your details.

I’ll be in touch within the next hour.

Thanks for contacting me. Sorry I missed your call. I should be available for the rest of the day.

Haven't followed this post in a while. Had problems with  unexplained excessive data usage and being unable to cap data plan which resulted in a massive bill. All this is detailed in earlier posts. All was finally resolved and the cap was applied as I wished since March. However the last 2 months I have been billed for the 250mb @ £6.50 on numerous occasions when I ran out of data. I got refunded £26 on the first month and this latest bill shows £6.50 again. How can I incur these charges when the plan has a data cap? The online help operator was unable to explain last time. 

It sounds as if the Data Cap is not working although it is showing as applied. I have been worried about this myself and keep a very close eye on my usage so as not to go over as I have no trust in the Cap working properly. I hope someone from VF can help you with this and explain what is going on.

Definitely doesn't work. Be interesting to know if Vodafone would offer a refund for out of bundle usage for a larger amount when the cap is on. I was only billed for £26 but I just wish for my service to stop at 50gb. I had no issue getting refunded

@Elaines35 wrote:

I had no issue getting refunded

You shouldn`t have to be claiming refunds and contacting VF every month. If a data cap is available it should work,other networks can do it so VF need to sort it out. This has been an ongoing problem for far too long.

Yes I agree and I thought I was sorted. Speed is fantastic and I have to be careful with data usage but I'm aware I have only 50gb. If only they could get their system bugs sorted

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

So we can take a look into your data cap for you @Elaines35, I've sent you a private message to contact our team.

We'll be in touch as soon as possible once we receive your details.

Hi Annie,

I think it must be more when it is getting towards 1gb, not 250mb by experiences on here.

I have 'told' Windows that my broadband is metered so hopefully this will stop most of the large updates it does until we go to our son's who has unmetered (and fast) broadband.

Thanks

John

Elaines35
4: Newbie
Thanks nabs I hope you are correct. The exact same data readings being logged as @jeffdawson78 would suggest a hardware/system problem somewhere with Vodafone. I just hope to get a resolution soon and I don't want this excessive usage cost hanging over me