main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Mobile Broadband

Strange excessive data use on mobile broadband

5: Helper

I was told in an email from help.vodafone.co.uk that:-

"your plan with the number 078XXXXXXX is covered under the mobile broadband plan for the data usages only. Unfortunately, these plans are not eligible or the data capping services"

It is a business contract which may or may not make a difference. Personally I don't see why but then logic does not seem to be involved.

View more options
4: Newbie
Anyone I had correspondence with seemed to think the data plans could be capped .
View more options

@TomW500 @Elaines35 If you have any further queries regarding this, please reply to our latest email and we'll be happy to help.

View more options

"Latest email" was weeks ago - or should I have had 1 recently?

Still waiting for the credit to be correctly put on the account. If you can help sort that?

View more options
@tomw500 my most recent response was 2 weeks ago but I'm still assuming the investigation is ongoing.
View more options

I'm afraid I get the impression nobody at Voda is doing anything about it. I was told that "no cap is available" and "no warning message can be set up" so it is a case of having to use the mifi box and it's app to monitor data used with extreme care.

A pretty pathetic set up if you ask me but it is very much a case of take it or leave it!  

View more options

@TomW500 If you still have the last email we sent to you, please pop a reply back and we'll be able to pick this back up for you. 

If not, please let us know and we can send the link again.

View more options
2: Seeker

Has anybody purchased a mobile dongle and had the data capped, I bought one in Feb this year and just had an extortionate bill, after reading the website it confirmed that any devices purchased after Sept 2016 can be capped but I have just been told by Vodafone that they cannot cap mine.  Anybody else have this issue?

View more options
17: Community Champion

@lizpughey There have been two or three other customers with similar experiences. See http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Data-on-the-go/Strange-excessive-data-use-on-mobile-broadband/td-p/25...

I'll move this thread into that one, so that the Forum Team will see these issues grouped together. I imagine that one of the Team will be in touch with you before too long, to see if they can help you with this.

View more options

lizpughey

Sorry to say I would not hold your breath for a resolution! There is no cap, no usage warnings and not much help from Vodafone.

To me it would seems so straight forward to provide a cap but, even though they can on other deals and other providers can, it is beyond the abilities of anyone at Vodafone.

View more options

@lizpughey

Do you have the option to add the data cap through your MyVodafone?

We have an app, you can download for free.

Let us know if you have this option.

View more options

@Dane_B Can the app be used with MBB?

View more options

I can't register with my vodafone as I dont have a vodafone mobile phone, I have emailed them to do it on line but it will not accept the user name or password they sent to me

View more options

Yes but the app only shows you the usage since last reset and only works when you use the SIM in the mifi box! Which means you cannot use it in a router (like I intended) and have to watch the figures like a hawk to avoid a huge expensive surprise.

You can also log in to the website and see unbilled usage but you need to total it up yourself as the website can't count it seems.

Sorry to sound so negative but the whole set up is garbage.

View more options

@lizpughey

I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

For anyone else with the same issue, try the steps listed here and if you’re still affected, contact customer service.

View more options

I have contacted customer services but they cannot log me into my account and they said my wifi cannot be capped, even though the w

ebsite sais it can

View more options

@Nabs

Mobile Broadband customers can only opt in to a data cap through eCare or the My Vodafone app.

View more options

@lizpughey if you follow the instructions in the PM the eforum team will be able to look into it

View more options

@Dane_B I'm getting very confused. I thought eCare was for business contracts, but @TomW500 may have been told (see post #141 above) that the data cap doesn't apply to business accounts?

View more options
The my vodafone app only works if the sim is in a mobile that is using the mobile data connection. My sim is in a Huawei hub and the app is installed on my iPad but as I'm using Wi-Fi and not mobile data on the ipad the app is useless
View more options