main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Mobile Broadband

Unjustified Data Charges

2: Seeker

I sent this to the Nick Jeffery at nick.jeffery at vodafone.com and yet to receive a reply.

Hi Nick

First of all, thank you for taking time to read this.

I recently purchased a 4G 50GB dongle for £30 initial charge and £30 per month.

After a few days I was on a call with the customer care service asking them how I could switch on data cap on my dongle. I followed the instruction as per the call and switched it on my iOS app. ( as it appeared to be at that time )

Then after a couple of weeks, internet stopped working and I thought it had to do with data cap coming into play.
Little did I know that the data cap feature did not reach your servers and I was now charged £215.
I called up customer care and they said data cap was not on. On the same call, the representative confirmed that he too was not able to turn it on. The customer care representative then reached out to a tech team to find an alternative mechanism on their system to switch it on.

So in a nutshell I went overdue by 7 GB approximately.

Now the worrying bit.

Here is some analysis of your charges in increasing order for the dongle.

Dongle plan 50GB for £30 - £0.6/GB - Base
Top up 15GB for £20 - £1.3/GB - twice base
Top up 2GB for £10 - £5/GB - 8 times increase
Top up 1GB for £6.50 - £6.5/GB - 10 times increase

And now the standard draconian fare
250MB for £6.50 - £26/GB - 43 times the base price

43 times increase in price is just ridiculous ! Is there any justification for this increase ?

I paid this standard completely uncalled for amount just to get my device back due to a bug on the app and lack of any notification on my mobile. I am victim of
1 - A faulty app which did not turn on data cap on multiple occasions. Even the support personnel confirmed that he couldn’t switch it on using his portal and had to reach out to another team to switch it on.
2 - Absolute lack of notification on my mobile phone regarding my usage.
3 - 4 hours of my time lost explaining to customer care to reconsider the bill and provide some compensation as the mistake was on their side. I have so far been promised a £10 wave off which is 5% of bill.

What makes me sad is that part of your business model is based off baiting on customers to get into that rediculous standard fare trap. To achieve this, you have
1 - Kept data flowing without blocking it. You know that filthy profit is going to come out of that minuscule “terms and conditions” block which needs a magnifying glass to read.
2- Turned off data cap as a default. No vodafone customer would want that OFF ever ! Customer have to figure out themselves how to get this turned on.
3 - Have an app work which does not work and finally blame the customer that he went overdue and is now forced into paying standard fare.

I feel bullied into paying my bill for mistakes not of my own and prices which are not advertised as they should have been.

Thanks,
Saiz

Like this if you have been a victim of Vodafone crafty faulty data charges, malfunctioning data caps resulting in huge bills or just upset with how they plan to make profit. 

View more options
2 REPLIES
4: Newbie

This is an ongoing problem,you will find several other posts about it on this forum, VF don`t seem to want to do anything about it or even admit there is a problem. Please keep us updated on if you get a reply to your email.

View more options

So we can take a closer look into your data usage for you @firaez, I've sent you a private message with details to contact our team directly.

We'll then be in touch to help resolve this.

View more options