Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unlock Merlin Xu870 Hsdpa Express Card

grwsmith
Not applicable
Hello,
Can anyone please tell me, how to Unlock a Merlin XU870 HSDPA Express Card.
Guy.
14 REPLIES 14

RetiredTom
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)
Hi Guy,

If it's a Vodafone UK card that you got from us, then you'll find all the information you need in our Vodafone Unlock Code thread.

Thanks,

Tom

eForum Team

grwsmith
Not applicable
Um, I am talking about unlocking a data card not a handset. Its a T-mobile card that I want to put a Vodafone data sim card in.

Retired-Mike_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hello Guy Smith.

Sorry for the confusion there. If it's a Tmobile card then I'm afraid you will need to chat to Tmobile. Only they could unlock one of their own datacards.

Hope you get everything sorted!

Mike

eForum Team

grwsmith
Not applicable
I have read up a little more regarding this unlocking, and have tried a program called DC-Unlocker but unfortunatly it does not work on Vista platform.

But I have also read that my Merlin card is probably not locked to any network. So this poses the question: is my data sim card okay. I purchased it off ebay and it says clearly on the box "HSDPA 3G BROADBAND" but

grwsmith
Not applicable
Please ignore the incomplete previous message.

I have read up a little more regarding the unlocking procedure, and have tried a program called DC-Unlocker but unfortunately it does not work on Vista platform.

But I have also read that my Merlin card is probably not locked to any network. So this poses the question: is my data sim card okay. I purchased it off ebay and it says clearly on the box "HSDPA 3G BROADBAND" but written on a label, the instructions booklet says nothing about 3G.

I have installed the Vodafone Mobile Connect software. Is registers the presents of the Merlin Card but tells me that there is no sim inserted. Does this mean the Sim is the problem? Should there be anything written on the sim describing its function? i.e. voice, 2G, or 3G.
Guy.

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Guy

In order for the sim to work in the modem it needs to be registered to a Vodafone account as this will give the sim the data usage and provisioning on the network to allow the sim to be used with the modem.

I would advise speaking to the person who you have purchased the sim off to see if it is registered to a data account or not?

Hope this helps.

James

eForum Team

grwsmith
Not applicable
Do Vodafone sell a PAYG 3G data sim card without the hardware?

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Guy Smith

Vodafone do sell sim only packages. If it is a modem connection SIM you require, this can be done without the hardware, however, if you are looking to use this for data connection I would advise to connect onto a contract with a 3GB fair usage policy per month for £15.00.

If you are just looking for a PAYT sim for minutes then this can be brought online.

Vodafone Shop

James

eForum Team

grwsmith
Not applicable
I have run the DC Unlocker v1.00.0136 again, on my Vista OS laptop, but this time; without selecting card manufacturer and model first, just clicking on the search icon, and received the following report::

Detecting card :
Found modem : Merlin XU870 Express Card
Model : Merlin XU870
Firmware : 9.2.00.0-00
IMEI : 011057000039583
SIM Lock status : unlocked

So; The Merlin Express card is functioning okay, it is unlocked, and the Vodafone 3G Broadband sim I have purchased is still not recognised by the Vodafone Mobile Connect (VMC) software. However, when I put my ancient PAYG Vodafone sim from my mobile phone into the Merlin, the VMC software recognises it. I also put the new Broadband sim into my mobile, it works well, sending calls, receiving calls, and it connects to the internet.

So what do I do now please?