Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Using a 4G modem abroad

Twonko
4: Newbie

Anyone know if I can use a Vodaphone Australia data SIM in my 4G wi-fi router (which is presumably locked to Vodaphone).  I know I can use my UK plan there for the princely sum of £5 a day extra but I think not.

Cheers

4 REPLIES 4

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

The device provided will be locked to Vodafone Uk so even though both Networks share the Vodafone name they are not linked. 

You would either need to get that device > Unlocked < or buy a device that is unlocked to accept any network SIM card or buy one in Australia. 

Australia - nice one - enjoy ! :Smiling:

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

I wondered about getting a Vodafone UK data SIM for your device, but that would be £25 per day - admittedly for 100MB - so hardly an economic prospect.

Do you have a spare phone which would take a Vodafone UK SIM? The PAYG rate for data in Aus is 10p per MB, which seems a much more sensible figure for occasional light usage.

If you get your device unlocked, you could use a local SIM - check the coverage of the various networks for the areas you'll be travelling in, to make sure you'll be getting adequate coverage. A few years back, Vodafone Aus had a bit of a reputation for concentrating on the CBDs, but I believe that has changed.

I already have a suitable device. I just need to know if an Australian Vodafone sim will work in a uk Vodafone 4G router that will inevitably be locked to Vodafone.

BandOfBrothers

It would be nice if the device was originally supplied unlocked to all networks but unfortunatley they are not @Twonko :Winking_smiley:

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.