Ask

Solution

Using different mobile internet Wi-Fi modem

Denisas
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

s-l300.jpg

Hello, 

I'm interested of purchasing Vodafone Mobile Wi-Fi R218 with 50Gb data plan + Video Pass. I live outside the city with average 4G conectivity. Does anybody know or had tried if I can replace Mobile Wi-Fi R218 with my own unlocked mobile wi-fi router, like Huawei B315 Mobile Wifi modem (3 Mobile provide this one to their customers). Huawei B315 allows me to connect good antenas to help me to boost signal and unfortunatly vodafone does not offer any other compatiple mobile modem. 

If I'll put vodafone mobile Wi-Fi sim to Huawei B315 will vodafone sim acept diferent modem?

Thank you for your time and help.

6 REPLIES 6

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

@Denisas You can purchase a Mobile Wi-Fi device from us, or you can purchase a Data-only SIM from us, with the same data plans available and the option to add passes.

You’ll need to make sure you have mobile equipment that supports this functionality. You may only use your SIM in or connect it to, modems, dongles, iPad, Tablets and /or laptops.

You can find more information on our Mobile Broadband plans here.

Please let us know if there's anything else we can help you with 🙂

TJ in relation to your response to the 3rd party modem/router. 

Can you confirm that using a 4G Vodafone SIM with Combo passes will work with a router sharing the 4G internet to devices such as tablets and mobile phones and if these devices can then use the Combo Pass to share the unlimited social, chat,  video and music services?? This is something I cannot find definitive answers on? 

The truth is nobody from VF seems to know 100% what works and what doesn`t and what data will or won`t be covered by these passes. There are a couple of other threads about this and I don`t believe a definitive answer has been given .

@Damosnelly wrote:

TJ in relation to your response to the 3rd party modem/router. 

Can you confirm that using a 4G Vodafone SIM with Combo passes will work with a router sharing the 4G internet to devices such as tablets and mobile phones and if these devices can then use the Combo Pass to share the unlimited social, chat,  video and music services?? This is something I cannot find definitive answers on? 

pipcoo
4: Newbie

I use a VF data sim in a TP Link Archer MR200 router and it works well,the MR200 has connections for external antenna also. I can`t comment on the router you suggest but I don`t see why it wouldn`t work.

Is the archer a v1 or a v2 - apparently there’s two and the sticker at the bottom shows the hardware version and where did you buy it?

I’m thinking of getting one myself, what kind of speeds do you get?

Mine is version 1 and I got it from Amazon. I usually get 20-30 meg D/L and 10 meg U/L using an external antenna , if you`re in a good signal area the supplied antennas may be good enough as they are much better than a mobile.

@MattyHopwrote:

Is the archer a v1 or a v2 - apparently there’s two and the sticker at the bottom shows the hardware version and where did you buy it?

I’m thinking of getting one myself, what kind of speeds do you get?