Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Video Pass Usage on HD streams showing as Data and not Video on MIFI

boardy
4: Newbie

Hi,

Looking for some advice.

I live in a poor broadband area, so I've been happily using a Vodafone MiFi/Video Pass combo for the last few months to get access to Netflix/Amazon Prime.

I also have 50GB data allowance, which I rarely ever get close to.

However, tonight I get a text alert that says I've used up all my 50GB in half a month!

This was my one and only warning text and it was just fortunate that I had my mobile linked to the MiFi box at the time or I would have racked up a huge bill.

Chatting to vodafone online, they tell me it is down to the HD videos I rented from Amazon Prime .

They then told me that HD is NOT covered under the Video Pass. 

I asked them to clarify that and they sent me the following link to the Vodafone T's&C's:

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/terms-and-conditions/consumer/vodafone-passes/

This doesn't say anything about HD, it does say in Section 13 that some devices may not be compatible.

So, can someone please explain to me why Amazon Prime HD content is not covered under the Video Pass and how you are supposed to tell what quality it will stream at when it works it out itself based on the bandwidth!

Alternatively, if this is just yet another mistake in the setup of the Video Passes, please let me know how I get the data re-allocated correctly to the Video Pass!

Thanks,

Dave.

5 REPLIES 5

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

So we can look into the charges raised @boardy and why you received them, please contact us by following the instructions in the private message I've sent you.

Still waiting for the moderators to get anywhere with this one, but I thought I would post a quick update in case anyone else is having issues.

Summary of problem:

Happily using Vodafone MiFi/VideoPass/LG Smart TV/Xbox One/HD for several months and 10's of GBs of data being assigned to the Video Pass. 

(My statements show this to be the case).

Current Issue:

ALL usage of Netflix/Amazon Prime is now being allocated to Data regardless of the equipment used.

Latest Testing:

Used an "officially supported" combination of Vodafone MiFi/Samsung Android Tablet/Netflix App from Google Play store.

The result.... 0GB on the Video Pass, 360MB on my Data.

So, there is clearly a problem with the way Video usage is being allocated for my account.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Did you get in touch with us by following the link in the private message I sent @boardy? If so, please let us know the reference (looks like [#11234567]) from the auto response you received.

Hi, I did get in touch, but there seemed to be some confusion over which of my Vodafone accounts this case was about (Phone/Mifi) and so I "failed" the security check. 

So, I went back to Customer Services to get this sorted. In half an hour, they were able to fix the problem.

A previous attempt to fix this was made by resetting the Video Pass. Apparently this had removed the Video Pass completely (even though it was showing up in my account). To fix this, they had to remove everything and start from scratch.

Now, I have a working Video Pass that is correctly allocating Netflix streaming from my MiFi/Xbox One to the Video Pass again...so I'm happy.

Colleen
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@boardy It's a shame to hear there was some confusion when you contacted us - I'll make sure this is fed back 😊 I'm glad this is all resolved for you now though, thanks for taking the time to let us know. 

If there's anything we can help with in the future, please don't hesitate to pop back to us on here.