Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Video, music and other passes

Orwell
4: Newbie

Sorry if this has been answered already, had a wee Search but didn't see anything. Just a curious question, if I had all the passes and had either mobile broadband or put my phone on a hotspot and then connected my pc, Xbox\ps4 and roku\apple tv to the hotspot or mobile broadband, then accessed one of the services the passes cover through one of those devices. Would the passes still work?

An simpler way to put it, if I have the video pass and have a hotspot on my phone with a pc\console connected to it and try to watch Netflix on one of those devices, does the pass still work and cost 0 data?

Cheers for any info

41 REPLIES 41

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)

@Orwell

That's certainly my understanding - if you have a particular pass you can access those services from your phone via wifi or whatever without using any Vodafone data. If you are using mobile data, then the very precisely defined things will be covered by the "endless data" but any usage which fell outside the definition would be deducted from your regular data allowance. 

I'm posting from a small phone just now, but will try to find chapter and verse once I have a bit more elbow room. 

Annie_N

Well, I've had a good search around, but failed to find the "unless of course you're using wifi" that I remember reading. Perhaps it's explicitly stated in the info about Voxi, which is a similar product.

I think that does have to be the case, but all the information that I'm aware of is to be found in the following, which are worth checking through in any case for the details of the product. 

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/terms-and-conditions/consumer/vodafone-passes/index.htm

https://support.vodafone.co.uk/Vodafone-products-and-services/Vodafone-Passes/Managing-your-Pass/106...

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/pass/index.htm#

Genuinely forgot i even posted a message :Cry_Laughing: . Cheers for your help Annie! i'll test it over the next few weeks and will try to remember to post back my results.

Was chatting to an adviser earlier, this is what he said:

"f you get a new mobile broadband device with video pass added on to it, you can connect it to any of your streaming device and can watch video and it will be covered under video pass."

Now at the time i was talking about a new sim, hence him mentioning a new mobile broadband device. I wouldn't take this as gospel, i've yet to try it out. but it does sound promising! 

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Orwell When using your Vodafone Pass from your phone, you can tether to another mobile phone, tablet or MiFi device, and use your endless data from the apps.

Tethering to other devices such as a video game console, TV, or through a smart device isn't included in the Vodafone passes.

You can find further clarification on our site.

Hope this helps :Smiling:

Interesting, so how exactly do the passes work for mobile broadband? Can't quite tell if that's tethering or not. Same rules apply? Only phones and tablets can stream unlimited? 

Annie_N

I presume that it's something to do with the order in which things are connected, and the route by which the signal arrives, but, having read @Tash's post and the Support info that she links to, I felt my mind beginning to shred, and gave up on the problem rather than risk permanent damage. At least, living in an area with very little mobile data signal, I don't have to address the problem for myself.

Yeah, it doesnt quite make sense. I understand the reasoning behind it, but why even offer it on mobile broadband? whose gonna connect all their devices to the router and then find to take advantage of the unlimited data, they have to watch something on their phone or tablet. you can still plug in a usb-c to hdmi adapter and watch on the tv, so i might have to get around it like that. 

Am I getting clear, that If I'll buy Vodafone Mobile Broadband 4G / Mobile WiFi (what I was planing to do...) with included VIdeo Pass and will connect my smart tv, for example Netflix or YouTube, video pass will not cover data usage from smart tv apps? :Hmm_Face: