Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Video, music and other passes

Orwell
4: Newbie

Sorry if this has been answered already, had a wee Search but didn't see anything. Just a curious question, if I had all the passes and had either mobile broadband or put my phone on a hotspot and then connected my pc, Xbox\ps4 and roku\apple tv to the hotspot or mobile broadband, then accessed one of the services the passes cover through one of those devices. Would the passes still work?

An simpler way to put it, if I have the video pass and have a hotspot on my phone with a pc\console connected to it and try to watch Netflix on one of those devices, does the pass still work and cost 0 data?

Cheers for any info

41 REPLIES 41

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

@Denisas If you’re using a virtual private network (VPN), a proxy, or your device is configured to an external domain name system (DNS) other than Vodafone’s DNS, then your Passes won’t work and any data usage will come out of your monthly allowance.

You can find more information on what's included with our Passes and what isn't here.

But all devices connected to a router share the same DNS, you can't have more than one DNS per router. So surely all devices connected, (be it from a router or tethered) share the same DNS? I'm not entirely sure any tv or streaming device/Console (out the box) use any vpn's or configured to any external domain DNS. Unless I'm totally wrong? 

I feel the only way we'll 100% get confirmation is by testing. I'll buy the pass tomorrow and try watching something.

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Please let us know if you had any luck following your test @Orwell :Smiling:

I find it vaguely amusing that VF are having to rely on a user ,at their own cost, to perform a test on one of their own products as the t&c`s are so (deliberately? ) confusing that nobody seems to know what content and devices these passes will or won`t cover.

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

Yes, @pipcoo, I suspect it's some sort of intellectual workout for the holiday season. A brave volunteer tries out X (where X is fairly complicated), reports the outcome, and we all spend a happy few hours trying to figure out whether (and how) it fits in with the Ts&Cs and support information. Or perhaps it's support-info-development by crowdsourcing?

Whatever the outcome, it could lead to a fall in the number of Passes sold, as trying to figure it out will be so much more fun than actually watching videos or listening to music.

I'll get a proper test tonight. But I loaded up the Vodafone app and checked my data, 39.4gb left,  I then  connected my mobile to the Mobile broadband router and played 13 mins of a movie on Netflix and my data stayed the same. I then connected my Xbox via ethernet to the router and played 20 mins of the same movie from the Netflix app and the data still stayed the same.

Will play for an hour long later and test the results again. I'll also check if it works on a roku too. 

I'm afraid I can't tether, as I'd have to buy another video pass for my phone, but for mobile broadband it's looking promising.

EDIT: Mission abort! Continued to play the movie as I was getting into it, data down to 36.2. So that was an extra hour or more. So it's deffo using data.  

I put an order for my Mobile Broadband Wi-Fi + Video Pass, which I shall collect from store and test on friday. I had a chat three times with vodafone customer service and sales department about example Smart TV connected to mobile wi-fi using Netflix or YouTube and everyt time I been told that video pass should cover all data, there are no limits, no SD limit to video quality stream and I can stream Netflix / YouTube FullHD or even 4K, depending on signal streangh without using any data. 

Chat transcript from 26.12.2017

Denis: I got few more questions if you are not mind.
Janet: Please feel free: )

Denis: I wish to add video pass. If I will connect my smart tv to vodafone mobile broadband and watch netflix trough tv, are there any limitations? I mean, can I watch it on any quality? full hd or even 4k, depends of my signal strengh?
Denis: Does video pass cover that?
Janet: Yes, you can watch it on any quality, there is no such limitations. Only one, if you're in EU and want to use it that way then you will get 5GB data per month.
In UK it is literally unlimited.

Janet: Yes, it does cover, it must be smart TV and you're all set

Yeah I was told this too from a chat advisor. I was told anything that connected to the router would be covered. I can imagine if the smart TV has an android OS, then that'll be the same app for phones and tablets. So I could see that working.

Thing is, the t's and c's do say no consoles, tvs or smart devices. But i'll do more tests, because the video pass seems kinda pointless if it's true. 

@Orwell wrote:

Thing is, the t's and c's do say no consoles, tvs or smart devices. But i'll do more tests, because the video pass seems kinda pointless if it's true. 

I red this also here. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought term tethering is ment for smartphones, when created wi-fi hotspot. Not sure if that have something to to with mobie wi-fi modem.

Colleen
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Orwell @Denisas We're going to get some confirmation on this for you - including regarding the information supplied in our Terms and Conditions 😊 

As soon as we hear back, we'll update this thread and let you know.