Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Video, music and other passes

Orwell
4: Newbie

Sorry if this has been answered already, had a wee Search but didn't see anything. Just a curious question, if I had all the passes and had either mobile broadband or put my phone on a hotspot and then connected my pc, Xbox\ps4 and roku\apple tv to the hotspot or mobile broadband, then accessed one of the services the passes cover through one of those devices. Would the passes still work?

An simpler way to put it, if I have the video pass and have a hotspot on my phone with a pc\console connected to it and try to watch Netflix on one of those devices, does the pass still work and cost 0 data?

Cheers for any info

41 REPLIES 41

Colleen
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Orwell @Denisas I just wanted to let you know, this has been escalated and is currently being looked into 😊

We'll continue to update this thread and will keep you posted. 

I've still been doing the odd test here and there. I wanna say I've found a new app that's not mentioned on the video pass that's also covered (technically the same company as one that's covered, was curious if it would work). But I was downloading some xbox updates last night and my data usage has still stayed the same. So until my data usage updates, I can't be sure.

For everyone  else, i've been using a usb-c to hdmi cable and watched movies and shows easily enough. Not the best solution, but it works. I've also been thinking,  it's gotta be the apps themselves that Vodafone track the usage from, so only the ones from the phone and tablet app store. Stuff like consoles, and other streaming devices will use a different app.

So off the top of my head, you could get an android TV box. Which isn't to be confused with android TV. Android tv(running the android TV OS) will use different apps than the phone and tablet ones. An android TV box (running a phone/tablet OS(7.0 or 7.1)) will use the exact same apps as as a phone/tablet. Which is a load of apps! So these should technically work with ease and should be covered by the passes. I'll see about buying one over the next week or two to try out. But I'm pretty confident it'll work.

Now saying all this, I know and understand why Vodafone are doing this. Same reason as Three when they first done "unlimited data" and then found out everyone was tethering their phones and downloading torrents. They pretty much took up the majority of the bandwidth and slowed 4g down for everyone else. Same with this, if everyone is streaming netflix ect, it'll soon slow down our connections. Not as bad as torrents, but it could be noticeable. Hence the reason it's only on phones and tablets, they will know their isn't many people willing to watch a movie on a small screen when they could watch on a TV.

I'm merely pointing this out, maybe an update in the t&c's or I dunno, something else. But its looking like it's relatively easy to 'get around' this phone and tablet only thing.

I'll keep trying out bits and bobs, I'll get another month of the video pass and see what I can find and keep you guys informed. 

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Orwell @Denisas - Thanks for your patience with this.

The Product Manager has come back to us. They’ve advised you can tether to a tablet or mobile, as Vodafone Passes can be taken out with tablets to stream content, although you wouldn’t be able to 'cast’ to TVs or PlayStations for example.

That's fine, thanks for getting back to us. Was sorta hoping for a more in-depth answer how it worked. 

I've got a streaming box coming tomorrow. So this should be the solution for true TV video pass experience. Will test over the weekend. My data resets tomorrow, so hopefully that means I can track my data again, because that's about 5 days now and it hasn't budged.

If it doesn't work, then I can just send it back, no biggie. But if I wasn't confident it would work, then I wouldn't of bought it.

Stay tuned!

EDIT: Sending the box back. Literally the worst thing I've ever used. Couldn't even load a movie for me to try. 

This is so strange. I was also informed by a customer service rep that I could connect my Smart TV to my wifi Dongle and the video pass would work. So I only got 2GB of data and a video pass essentially just to watch Netflix.

For 3 months I watched a lot of Netflix (it was winter) and nevr went over my 2GB of data. Suddenly this sunday I exceeded the data in one day and was charged £195 and Netflix no longer works on my TV.

It is so confusing, I will be cancelling becuase no one seems to know what is and isn't allowed.

Any more update on this topic?

Sorry, not just yet. You can easily connect your phone/tablet to the tv and do it like that(provided it has an hdmi output). I was using that just fine, sadly the hdmi ports on my tv have gone. xbox is fine, although no sound through tv.  usb-c to hdmi just doesnt work now haha. Then I accidentally left my xbox plugged into my router and it downloaded around 6gb over my data allowance , so that was a nice £195 extra bill, so i had to cap my account and take off the video pass. but i'll get back to testing soon enough! 

Thanks for the reply, sorry just to clarify the xbox bit? Am I to understand I can use the Netflix App on the xbox and connect the vodafone wifi device with the video pass? I got so mad today at the online chat person (even though it wasnt their fault I know). The sales guy in the store assued me I could connect my smart tv to the vodafone device and use the Netflix and Youtube apps on the telly. It was the reason I bought the Vodafone Device and signed up to them.

Sadly not. The video pass(and other passes) will only work on mobiles and tablets. No other devices im afraid. Thats why my work around was using a usb-c to hdmi, connecting directly from phone/tablet to tv. I too was misinformed and it was the reason i took my mobile broadband contract with them, so im stuck for another 5 or so months. Its a bit of a pain, but thats currently the best workaround.

Its the same situation for us only about a 11 months more to go :(, that is such a pain, I cant for the life of me understand why the vodafone system cant/wont allow the use of smart tv's and gaming consoles, it is very confusing on so many levels, they are limiting their market, its more or less the same thing using Netflix downloaded from the PlayStore on an adriod phone as a Smart tv using the andriod opperating system. I read above (possibly your comment) of using an adroid box and this might also get around having to connect the phone to the tv. On googling ideas earlier I came across this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VODAFONE-TV-BOX-HD-DECODER-HARDWARE-VERSION-SAGEMCOM-ITEM-CODE-M177-/2536... which I think has the abilty to download apps, so I'd imagine this could also work but I cant find anything on the vodafone.co.uk page. From talking to the chat adviser they are "working" on gettting smart tvs and consoles on their systems but I'd say there's a better chance of Saudi Arabia winning the world cup than this happening anytime soon.