Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vmc And Microsoft Synchrisation Clash

Shadowuk
Not applicable
I wonder if you can help.

I recently purchased the K3760 USB stick and installed VMC. All good, can access the internet no problem.

However in order to access the servers at work I need to connect via VPN and allow the microsoft syncronisation to take place. As I synchronise when I log off work there is rarely anything to update, but all the network paths resolve and server directories appear.....

Over LAN, home broadband etc this is all fine. But when using the VMC connection as soon as sychronisation gets to the VMC Log directory (which I can't seem to exclude from synchronisation) VMC bombs out and all connections are lost.

The Error that windows raises is : Application popup: Windows - Delayed Write Failed : Windows was unable to save all the data for the file \serverxxxx\FolderRedir\userxxxx\Application Data\Vodafone\Vodafone Mobile Connect\Log\L20090518-004052-0932-iftrace.txt. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.

I am using VMC 9.3.3.10523, K3760 Usb stick, on an HP laptop running Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2.

Now as all is well surfing normally, VPNs etc until I try to synchronise I make the assumption this is purely software related and that for some reason the VMC app is very touchy about its resources.

Any ideas please?

Thanks
Simon
3 REPLIES 3

KD
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)
Hi Simon

Welcome to the eForum - it's always nice to meet new people! :D While your here - don't forget to check out our awesome Vodafone Help Centre for advice on all things Vodafone.

Don't worry - this is really straight forward to fix (I love it when that happens!)

VMC Lite installs optimisation software. This makes sure that you get the fastest connection possible.

To use a VPN the optimisation needs to be removed. In the current version of VMC Lite (that you are using) it isn't possible to remove this feature.

To fix this

• Download VMC 9.2 here.
  • Uninstall VMC 9.3
  • Begin istalling 9.2
  • When asked what kind of installation you would like to perform click "Custom"
  • You can then deselect "optimisation" from the list of what to install
  • Complete the rest of the install as normal

You will now be able to connect to the internet and your VPN without any problems. YAY! :D

Enjoy the bank holiday weekend!

B-)

Kirsty
eForum Team

Shadowuk
Not applicable
Hi Kirsty,

Thank you for your response. I had a good weekend thanks and you?

Ok, I de-installed VMC 9.3 and installed 9.2.

9.2 wouldn't recognise the USB device that had been installed with 9.3 .... so de-installed all devices and software again, manually cleaned all the Vodafone app directories away as uninstall doesn't completely tidy up after itself.

All re-installed.

When synchronisation takes place, VMC bombs 9.2 bombs, but with a different error. However this time it leaves all the connections open and the VPN continues quite happily and re-running synchrosisation succeeds.

Both versions of VMC seem to have a problem with the sychronisation of files installed in the vodafone directories below the Application Data directory.

I guess it just means I can't track my usage.

Thanks & Regards
Simon

Retired-Jon_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Simon,

Not ideal, but at least it works! You'll actually find now that you don't need the Vodafone software at all. You can use the manual dial-up connection that it will have created within Windows Network Connections to dial out, and then VPN as normal.

I'd recommend using Online Billing to track usage, as it's far more accurate than the Vodafone software anyway :)

Jon

eForum Team