Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone DNS settings to use for Video pass

r4w
4: Newbie

Hi all,

Does anybody know what DNS servers I'm expected to use on my devices if I want to use the Video pass as I'm not getting a clear answer anywhere?

Vodafone chat (technical support) doesn't know their own DNS servers and I'm pretty unsure if the google ones are supported at this point.

Thank you.

13 REPLIES 13

r4w
4: Newbie

I'm very surprised no one had this question before and also that nobody knows about Vodafone's DNS. They're still giving me an hard time.

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@r4w - I understand this must be frustrating as you need to know the correct DNS server to use.

We’re checking a few things for you and we’ll be back in touch as soon as we can.

@gemma, I would normally think that information like this should be publicly accessible on your website, but the fact that your techinical team (via chat) kept saying: We will forward you to the Pass team and the Pass team forward me back to the Tech team (and this for a good 30 minutes), it isn't really a great experience.

@Gemma wrote:

@r4w - I understand this must be frustrating as you need to know the correct DNS server to use.

We’re checking a few things for you and we’ll be back in touch as soon as we can.

Any updates please?

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@r4w The answer we've been given is as follows: 
The DNS server addresses for the specific site will be passed automatically down to the device as part of the CREATE_SESSION_RESPONSE message sent back towards the handset when a data session is created.

The customer should leave their devices to automatically learn the DNS addresses rather than hardcode their own DNS servers.

@Alex wrote:

@r4w The answer we've been given is as follows: 
The DNS server addresses for the specific site will be passed automatically down to the device as part of the CREATE_SESSION_RESPONSE message sent back towards the handset when a data session is created.

The customer should leave their devices to automatically learn the DNS addresses rather than hardcode their own DNS servers.

Alex, my device or your DNS are failing to resolve the FQDN to the IP address and I would like to verify where exactly is the problem. I would use Google DNS but I can't due to the video pass. Can you provide to me the DNS IP address(es) please?

Just in case someone wants the secret number, it seems to be 10.206.128.1. I'm just posting it here because it should be public and it may be useful to other people too.

Hi @r4w, where did you get the DNS server address from eventually?

I am in a simialr situation but with a pay monthly account I am sent 10.206.64.1 as both primary and secondary DNS servers:

Profile 1 = ACTIVE* **
--------
PDP Type = IPv4
PDP address = X.X.X.X <--- obscured for security
Access Point Name (APN) = wap.vodafone.co.uk
Authentication = PAP
Username: wap
Password: xxxxxxxx <--- obscured for security
        Primary DNS address = 10.206.64.1
        Secondary DNS address = 10.206.64.1

* - Default profile
 ** - LTE attach profile

Hi @stuart_cossar @r4w we have multiple DNS and depending at the time of connection these details may change for different customers. @r4w Don't change the DNS on video pass as if you do so, the data usage may come off your normal allowance and not the inclusive on your Video pass. At what point are you getting the FQDN error and what device?

Joe