Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Internet Key Connecting Two Pcs

stormmaker
Not applicable
Good Afternoon from Italy,

i have one question for you and i hope i get some answers. Unfortunately i had to use your forum because most Italians couldn't help me because either they don't know or they cannot understand what i am asking from them.

I recently bought i vodafone internet key(http://www.areaprivati.vodafone.it/190/trilogy/jsp/programView.do?contentKey=36014&pageTypeId=9609&channelId=-8671&programId=9390&tk=9609%2Cc&ty_key=pri_Internet_offerta_facile_senza_limiti). It is with contract-no limit.

What i need to know is, if i can use the same internet key to access internet from two different PCs.

I have a laptop and a desktop. Now if i want to connect to internet using my laptop i plug my vodafone internet key to laptop. The same with desktop.

Is it possible to set up, somehow, my own personal wlan or vpn?

Do i need some extra equipment for this?

My laptop of course supports wifi, on my desktop there is a wireless Asus card, and i have a modem router.

I've heard something about access points and staff like this, but first i need to know if i can or cannot connect 2 pcs in the internet using only one vodafone internet key.

Thank you all for your answers.
9 REPLIES 9

Retired-MattyD1
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi stormmaker

Thanks for the question and welcome to the eForum :)

The simple answer is yes, you can use the usb stick in different pc's.

You'd just need to make sure the computers are compatible with the modem.

As for the Vpn, this is something that is normally only used by business customers.

However, should you want to sort something like this out I'd advised contact Vodafone Italy directly.

Hope this helps, and please let us know if you need anything else.

Many Thanks

MattyD

eForum team

stormmaker
Not applicable
Well,

first of all thank you for your answer.

Secondly, there is no way to have an answer from vodafone italy, because no one is able to speak english. Sorry i dont mentionned but i am Greek living in Italy now.

But, to be honest i am not sure you have understood my question...
The question is not weather or not i am able to attach my usb internet key to different pcs...This is something i already know. I can...I tried and i can connect from both desktop and laptop.

The question is if i can share this internet connection at the same time in two different pcs. If i can sent this connection to my desktop or laptop through some kind access point to another pc.

The answer i got from Vodafone Greece is ''No is not technically possible to connect simultaneously in two PCs at the same''...But i just want to confirm because mobile internet in Greece is something new and i dont know if the guys over there are fully capable to answer me all these of questions(two of them told me yes you can and two of theme no you cannot)

eeyore
2: Seeker
2: Seeker
Are you thinking of Windows Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)? With ICS running on a computer which has an internet connection via the Vodafone service, a second computer (linked to the first computer through a LAN connection) should also be able to access that internet connection.

Is Vodafone-Greece saying ICS won't work?

cjm1979
14: Advanced member
I have just bought a 3G wireless router so we can use both pc's at the same time in our house. The good thing is that i can put the router where ever i get best Vodafone reception to the dongle, which just plugs into the back of the router. The setup was easy enough and there is no more arguing over who can use the dongle!

Retired-Reidar
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Stormmaker

The only way you can share a connection between two PC's using the USB modem is as follows;

1. Using the Internet Connection Sharing built into windows.

This involves setting up and connecting your modem to one PC, then using a network cable/bluetooth to connect the second PC to the first one then enabling/setting up the network connections (sometimes a lengthly process but plenty of online help which I can't advise on) via your control panel.

2. Using a 3G wireless router

This is effectively a router into which you can plug your modem dongle, it then pushes out the 3G signal (converted to wifi) and any PC's in the location can pick it up. HERE is an example of what I mean, plenty of models available over the internet.

Thanks

Your eForum Email

Reidar :ph34r:

eForum Team

stormmaker
Not applicable
So, i have understood till now, that your answer is ''YES'' it is possible to connect two PCs with the same internet key....

@eeyore i was not thinking anything, just asking because i was a little bit confused. Vodafone Italy (one lady at the store, that i think she had understood what i was asking) she told me, ''NO YOU CANNOT''...Vodafone Greece was ''divided'' to those that have answered me ''YES, YOU CAN'' and those that told me ''NO, it is not possible. You can use your USB (plug and unplug it) having one connection in one PC. You cannot share this USB mobile connection with another PC''.

So, to sum, the best and much more easier solution is to buy a 3G wireless router that converts 3G to wifi?

And then what? I have to connect my mobile internet key(dont forget that it is a USB, ok?) to 3G router, and then to connect both my PCs with it?

Thank you all again for your answers until now. I really appreciate it.

cjm1979
So, i have understood till now, that your answer is ''YES'' it is possible to connect two PCs with the same internet key....
So, to sum, the best and much more easier solution is to buy a 3G wireless router that converts 3G to wifi?

And then what? I have to connect my mobile internet key(dont forget that it is a USB, ok?) to 3G router, and then to connect both my PCs with it?

Thank you all again for your answers until now. I really appreciate it.

The usb dongle plugs straight into the back of the wireless router and then your pc's connect to the router via either wi-fi or an cable if you want. HERE is the setup diagram from the edimax site for the router which i use. It is in pdf so you will need adobe reader to view it.

Retired-Andrew_
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi stormmaker,

If you check out the link cjm1979 has provided I am sure you will find it more than useful as I have had a look and it even makes sense to me so I am sure you won't find it a problem. ;)

If there is any further help you need, please let us know and one of our tech Guys will help you out as best they can.

Many thanks

Andy
eForum Team

stormmaker
Not applicable
Thank you very much guys...My best wishes to you...