Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Mobile Broadband Upload Problem

alex_m90
Not applicable
Hi all,

I hope that you will be able to help me with my problem. I am using the vodafone Pay and Talk dongle which I purchased at the weekend. I have 2GB worth of allowance remaining so it is not a problem with lack of credit.

My line of work involves me uploading photos via the mobile broadband connection from the dongle. I use the Adobe lightroom 2 FTP upload plug-in and when using wireless internet connections or wired broadband connections, I have no problems and can upload in this manner all of the time.

At the weekend when I connected to the mobile broadband (Vodafone UK GPRS) I tried to upload the photos but got a message saying something along the lines of "error lightroom cannot ascertain whether this FTP server exists". I managed to locate a wireless internet source later however and without changing any settings everything uploaded successfully.

I know a lot of other photographers use the vodafone mobile broadband dongles (it was on their reccomendation I chose vodafone) and so I hope somebody will be able to help me with my problem that I have.

Do I need to change my settings? Is there a problem with my dongle?

Hope to hear from somebody soon.
Thanks all!
Alex
12 REPLIES 12

lepetitlapin
Not applicable
My connection regularly corrupts files on upload to my server, particularly image files, probably something to do with VF's network side image 'optimisation'...

Neil_Brown
14: Advanced member
Can you use FTP otherwise than through the plug-in?

(or, better, SFTP, unless you're inside the domain)
Neil

alex_m90
Not applicable
Can you use FTP otherwise than through the plug-in?

(or, better, SFTP, unless you're inside the domain)

I just prefer to use the Lightroom plug-in as then I am sure that all my caption details and added metadata remain intact for the upload of the images. Also, the plug-in enables me to easily manage the different locations to which I have to FTP images to by having a number of different presets that you can save.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is SFTP?

The FTP upload works on all internet connections apart from the vodafone mobile broadband dongle, is this due to the fact that when connected by GPRS or 3G the settings for FTP upload change?

Thanks for the replies so far,
Alex

alex_m90
Not applicable
My connection regularly corrupts files on upload to my server, particularly image files, probably something to do with VF's network side image 'optimisation'...

when you say it corrupts the images, what does it do to them? Does it let you know they are corrupted or do they still get uploaded corrupted?
Or is the original corrupted? :wacko:

Retired-Wayne
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi alex_m90 and welcome to the eForum

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems here.

One thing I can suggest that should resolve your issue is to download the full version of the Vodafone Mobile Connect and then uninstall the Vodafone Optimisation.

Let me know how you get on with that and if you have any more questions please let us know.

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

Neil_Brown
just prefer to use the Lightroom plug-in as then I am sure that all my caption details and added metadata remain intact for the upload of the images. Also, the plug-in enables me to easily manage the different locations to which I have to FTP images to by having a number of different presets that you can save.

Sorry- I didn't mean as to whether you could use it as an alternative, but rather whether FTP outside Lightoom works correctly (i.e. is it a Lightroom problem, or not)

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is SFTP?

Secure FTP - FTP transmits in plaintext (including username and password), wherease SFTP encrypts all traffic.
Neil

alex_m90
Not applicable
Hi alex_m90 and welcome to the eForum

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems here.

One thing I can suggest that should resolve your issue is to download the full version of the Vodafone Mobile Connect and then uninstall the Vodafone Optimisation.

Let me know how you get on with that and if you have any more questions please let us know.

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for the advice. I did as you instructed, and to proceed had to uninstall the software that installe upon plugging in the dongle. I did this and the new download of the software is complete and installed. I notice this is exactly the same as the software that was installed first time round, Vodafone Mobile Connect. At no point have I seen the programme Vodafone Optimisation.

I was wondering if this is hidden in the install somewhere and might be preventing me from FTP uploading from the mobile broadband?

Also, not very technically minded, but the port for FTP that I have always used successfully is 21. Does this change when using the mobile broadband dongle or not?

Any further advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am currently completely stuck and confused.

Thanks again for all the suggestions so far,
Alex

alex_m90
Not applicable
Sorry- I didn't mean as to whether you could use it as an alternative, but rather whether FTP outside Lightoom works correctly (i.e. is it a Lightroom problem, or not)

Secure FTP - FTP transmits in plaintext (including username and password), wherease SFTP encrypts all traffic.

Not sure to be honest on that. Will try normal FTP upload with the mobile broadband. Hadn't thought it could be a lightroom problem before as it uploaded successfully on wireless internet and wired internet but I will give it a go to see.

Thanks again,
Alex

Retired-Daz_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Lepetitlapin,

I've answered your query in your other thread here. If you can keep questions to a single thread, then all the info and suggestions surrounding them can stay in one place ;)

Hi Alex_m90,

We dont change port settings, so it should still work :huh:

In terms of the optimisation, it's an install option when performing a custom install. Simply start the installation, choose Custom and select Optimisation. With this in place, you'll then have the setting from within the VMC program itself to turn it off.

The link to the VMC has been included by Wayne above - let us know if you need more of a hand!

Daz

eForum Team