Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone PAYG Dongle - I Can't See My Remaining Usage

robonuggie
Not applicable
Hello,

When I first started using my Vodafone dongle (PAYG) I used to find that the ongoing tally of how much I had used via the account website was very useful as I could topup when it reached say 50 mb or so, but now when I look it says 'your prepaid balance' and gives £1.... can I no longer see how much data allowance I have left?

I use FreeBSD/Linux and don't use the dashboard software provided on with the dongle.

Thanks...
FreeBSD 8.1,  K3570Z+Edimax 3g-6200n
10 REPLIES 10

jarviser
15: Advanced member

Hello,

When I first started using my Vodafone dongle (PAYG) I used to find that the ongoing tally of how much I had used via the account website was very useful as I could topup when it reached say 50 mb or so, but now when I look it says 'your prepaid balance' and gives £1.... can I no longer see how much data allowance I have left?

I use FreeBSD/Linux and don't use the dashboard software provided on with the dongle.

Thanks...

I have reported this here twice. I am in correspondence with Sukhi-Vodafone who tried deleting my "My Account" so see if it was a problem just for me. This was tried before taking the matter to the Website Developers.

But I still have the same problem as you.

Please Vodafone accept that someone changed the website and it needs changing back.

Please Sukhi also call me again as the attempted solution has created a new problem and may do so for other customers if they try it.

Retired-BenJ
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi RoboNuggie.

unfortunately VMC isn't 100% support for linux/bsd yet as its mainly for windows and mac, this will cause a problem as the software dash (as you quite rightly said) wont load.

What Flavor are you using? Have you seen our betavine site ?

Thanks
BenJ
eForum Team
Vodafone UK

bacupian
4: Newbie

Hello,

Thanks...

I gave up to Ubuntu connection manager and reverted to a normal dialup configuration. It's trivial to add logging
or script an ifconfig command to give usage for your present connection. The really difficult part is to add up
the individual sessions to get a total.

I use NetBSD or Ubuntu and scripts are same apart from different interface device names. The dongle has an
additional memory card so if needed logs can be stored on that. The ppp scripts also work for my Orange dongle
and total about 2kB. I also use gnokii for sms and can use either commandline or interface to Evolution.

David

jarviser

Hi RoboNuggie.

unfortunately VMC isn't 100% support for linux/bsd yet as its mainly for windows and mac, this will cause a problem as the software dash (as you quite rightly said) wont load.

What Flavor are you using? Have you seen our betavine site ?

Thanks
BenJ
eForum Team
Vodafone UK

PLEASE PLEASE ignore the linux thing. This problem is nothing to do with the dashboard. Like me RoboNuggle DOES NOT USE THE DASHBOARD AT ALL.

RoboNuggle is saying that he needs the "My Account" page of the website for the information (Like I do) and it's the website that is busted. Somebody changed the landing page about a week ago. A week ago it used to show calling balance and also most importantly that we had x GBytes left and z days left. Now it just has the calling balance.

THE WEBSITE IS BUSTED. SOMEBODY CHANGED IT

jarviser

I gave up to Ubuntu connection manager and reverted to a normal dialup configuration. It's trivial to add logging
or script an ifconfig command to give usage for your present connection. The really difficult part is to add up
the individual sessions to get a total.

I use NetBSD or Ubuntu and scripts are same apart from different interface device names. The dongle has an
additional memory card so if needed logs can be stored on that. The ppp scripts also work for my Orange dongle
and total about 2kB. I also use gnokii for sms and can use either commandline or interface to Evolution.

David

OK so we agree you don't need the dashboard to connect. Neither do I, nor the OP. So David are you saying you CAN see your remaining GBytes and days remaining when you log into the "My Account" web page? Please reply as I am wondering if everyone is affected or just the chosen few.

bacupian

OK so we agree you don't need the dashboard to connect. Neither do I, nor the OP. So David are you saying you CAN see your remaining GBytes and days remaining when you log into the "My Account" web page? Please reply as I am wondering if everyone is affected or just the chosen few.

I know how many bytes I've used so don't need the farce that's "My Account".

David

jarviser

I know how many bytes I've used so don't need the farce that's "My Account".

David

So do I (I use Wine and Netmeter and I have a calendar) but that's not the point. Some pillock changed the web page and it needs changing back.

If you are registered with "My Account", please can you take a look and see if you get all 3 pieces of info or just the calling credit. Thanks.

bacupian

So do I (I use Wine and Netmeter and I have a calendar) but that's not the point. Some pillock changed the web page and it needs changing back.

If you are registered with "My Account", please can you take a look and see if you get all 3 pieces of info or just the calling credit. Thanks.

I'm waiting for VF to contact me regarding the lack of security on their website. I've had emails that seem to confirm
the claim that one or more of my online accounts has been compromised.

So no, I'll not try to login to "My Account" until I know that it's safe and I hear from VF what they're going to do
about the compromised email address.

David

jarviser
Update: VF are now analysing my problems with a view to escalating to Web Support. Meanwhile if anyone else still gets the full information of Days left, GBytes left and Calling balance, please report it here. If anyone only gets Calling Balance without GBytes or Days left also report it here. It may help solve the problem. Thanks.