Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

are there details on 50GB promotion anywhere

Haydon-Berrow
2: Seeker

I recently bought a sim card on ebay that has 50GB of data on it. I'm very pleased with it but I'd like to know more about what I've bought because it behaves very oddly. Yes, I could ask the seller but documentation by Vodafone would be more useful.

I put it in my phone and when I ring 2345 the cheerful young woman on the recoding tells me I have opted into the 50GB promotion and have no texts and no minutes and 49GB of data (I've used some of it). Despite this, I can phone and send sms texts from the phone but I can't receive either of them and, in particular, I can't register my card on MyVodafone because I don't receive the confirmatory security pin.

In particular, I'd like to know whether it's safe to buy a vodafone voucher and use it to top up my account; a phone that won't receive calls is only half-useful.

6 REPLIES 6

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

It sounds very much like a Vodafone Data Sim only card you have which is set up for use in dongles and tablets. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

I'm new to Vodafone. I can text to an EE or a 3 data sim and read it on my dongle; are you suggesting that this isn't usually possible on a Vodafone sim card?

AnnS

Hi @Haydon-Berrow

I am slightly confused by your post, the 50GB promotion given in conjunction with Big Value Bundles ended 9th April 2016 and would have lasted 30 days after which time any usused data together with the Big Value Bundle would end.  It's strange without any credit you are able to use the SIM for calls and texts.

As you are able to make call but not receive, the most likely reason for your problem is the SIM has not been correctly activated. To activate the SIM, you should only need to top up and make a chargeable call or try dialling 18298 to activate the SIM.  As soon as the SIM is active, there is no reason for you being unable to register for an online account.  You can find how to add credit on this link: Pay as you go top up

If there are further problems, you will need to go back to the point of sale, the seller should be able to clarify exactly the PAYG tariff sold.

firarottico

@Haydon-Berrow wrote:

I recently bought a sim card on ebay that has 50GB of data on it. I'm very pleased with it but I'd like to know more about what I've bought because it behaves very oddly. Yes, I could ask the seller but documentation by Vodafone would be more useful. Audacity Find My iPhone Origin

I put it in my phone and when I ring 2345 the cheerful young woman on the recoding tells me I have opted into the 50GB promotion and have no texts and no minutes and 49GB of data (I've used some of it). Despite this, I can phone and send sms texts from the phone but I can't receive either of them and, in particular, I can't register my card on MyVodafone because I don't receive the confirmatory security pin.

In particular, I'd like to know whether it's safe to buy a vodafone voucher and use it to top up my account; a phone that won't receive calls is only half-useful.

It sounds particularly like a Vodafone Data Sim just card you have which is set up for use in dongles and tablets.

@firarottico wrote:

@Haydon-Berrow<snip>. Despite this, I can phone and send sms texts from the phone but I can't receive either of them and, in particular, I can't register my card on MyVodafone because I don't receive the confirmatory security pin.

It sounds particularly like a Vodafone Data Sim just card you have which is set up for use in dongles and tablets.

Thank you, but if that's so then I'll repeat a question ... "I'm new to Vodafone. I can text to an EE or a 3 data sim and read it on my dongle; are you suggesting that this isn't usually possible on a Vodafone (Data) sim card?" I can add that I discovered that my card had some credit on it and that would explain why I was ablt to make phone calls. If one can't send and receive sms-texts on a Vodafone data sim card then I will avoid them.

pierrofimory

@Haydon-Berrow wrote:

I recently bought a sim card on ebay that has 50GB of data on it. I'm very pleased with it but I'd like to know more about what I've bought because it behaves very oddly. Yes, I could ask the seller but documentation by Vodafone would be more useful. Discord Adobe Reader iTunes

It sounds very much like a Vodafone Data Sim only card you have which is set up for use in dongles and tablets.