Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

dongles

raddy001
2: Seeker

Hello we were given a dongle by vodafone when we updated our contract phone as a freebie saying as a loyal customer heres a dongle with 30gb on, wasnt told it was a contract and assumed once we used the 30gb it would become obsolete, now have had a bill out of the blue for 1100.00 for 39gb over 30gb limit, has anybody else had this situation and what was the outcome?

7 REPLIES 7

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @raddy001

When was the dongle issued to you ?

The agent should have explained the particulars and usually an email follows to confirm. 

If this was done over the phone then some calls are retained for 60 days. Unfortunately not all calls are Recorded. 

If this was done via Live Chat then did you retain a copy if the chat transcript. 

Id suggest to ringing customer service on 191 asap to have them investigate. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

June 7th 2017, I was upgrading my phone and basically the sales guy says as a loyalty I will give you a dongle with 30gb on, no way shape or form was I told it was a contract and I believed it was limited to 30gb, I have asked for contract and they keep saying refer to terms and conditions, a company as big as vodafone should have obligations to ensure things like this don't happen, imagine no limit on a credit card?? And by going over 39gb they want to charge their customer £1158.00???? Mad

AnnS

Hi @raddy001

This will be one for the Team, wait for them to contact you for account information and they will be the people to get this sorted for you.

These loyalty offers are usually 30 day contracts subject to 30 days cancellation notice.  The dongle would come free but there will be an airtime contract to go with the device.  It is standard sales procedure for the advisor to go through and read the Terms and Conditions to you, this would have enabled you to understand exactly what you were being sold and there would have been a follow up email confirmation detailing everything agreed giving you ample time to make a return.

As far as your account spending is concerned, customers have a credit limit on the account, I think it's under £200.00, and your service should have been immediately disconnected when the credit limit was reached.  This is in place to prevent bill shock for customers and to protect the network should your device be fraudulently used.

You are not the only person on this forum subject to a high data bill, please don't worry.  As mentioned, there is a good Team here and they will be in touch.

Thank you for the reply, I spoke to another customer services advisor this evening as my wife is petrified it will affect her credit file apart from vodafone, my wife actually recorded this conversation of me in conversation with rep and he admits he has dealt with this situation on many occasions and escalates it but does not know thr outcome of the situation so vodafone are well aware of the situation but take no action in addressing the situation, the rep i spoke to who told me this his name was Kyle and was a straight guy doing whats right for the customer himself knowing that other advisors are miss selling but says he wouldn't do it himself, top guy we have therefore posted on Twitter in the interest of protecting the public, next step Martin Lewis money expert and try national newspaper and keep going until it gets through and more customers start coming out of the network, hopefully it will result in somehting like the PPI

Colleen
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@raddy001 It's very disappointing to hear about what's happened with the dongle and the charges you've incurred. 

I can see we're currently helping you with this via direct message on our Twitter page and will continue to be in touch, until we reach a resolution. Please keep a lookout for our reply. 

Why does it take so long for Vodafone to sort out? I have told them all they have to do is read the transcript on the date I took out my mobile phone contract, that is the day they said as a loyal customer we are going to give you a dongle with 30gb on it, in no way shape or form was I advised it was contracted.... Mis selling

raddy001

im hoping this will reach the same voda executive yours did, we upgraded our phone and the vodafone sales rep said as a loyal customer we will give you a free dongle with 30gb on it, i thought happy days a freebie :Winking_smiley: we went on holiday in uk and the kids used the dongle wasnt worried as i thought once the data is used thats it like a pay as you go, been back a month now and a bill arrives for £1158.00 for excess data usage phones Vodafone and all they say is check your terms and conditions, i advise them thats not what the sales person told me and ask them to check the recorded conversation to which they reply we only keep the recordings for two months lol