main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle
Announcements
Keeping the UK connected is our main priority. Find out how we're doing thishere.
Close announcement

Network queries

4G Cell-ID disappeared replaced by low performance Cell

Highlighted
2: Seeker

I have 4G (Huawei B525) router and have been successfully using it for the last 4 months.

On average I was getting 40mb/s downlod and 30mb/s upload.

The router was always locked onto cell-id 469016.

The router used to report:

RSRQ : -6.0dB
RSRP: -36dBm
SINR: 12dB

In the last couple of weeks, that cell-id has disappeared and the router now locks on cell-id 1032458.
Since then, the internet since have been dramatically reduced.
We are now getting on average around 4 mb/s download and 12mb/s upload.
The router reports:
RSRQ: -15.0dB
RSRP: -80dBm
SINR: -4dB

According to cellmapper site, the location of where the cell-id 469016 used to be located, there are now other cell-id's of 469002, 469006 & 469012 but my router never connects to them - presumably it because of reduced power. I have tried moving the router for better reception but made no difference.

Cellmapper site has no knowledge of the location of cell-id 1032458.
I know we have a crisis in the country but 4 of us are now trying to work and video conference through out the day at home and it is impossible to that on 4mb/s download speeds on a 4G network.

Mobile phones on EE 4G network in our house give an average of 44 mb/s.

I would appreciate an update of vodafone are doing in our rural area and when how quickly will the network be restored ?

Vodafone please help.
View more options
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted

No one from Vodafone have any suggestions ?

If it's too technical, whom should I esclate to ?

Thanks.

View more options
Highlighted
4: Newbie

I have found the issue. Please complete these steps:

1. Head to your routers' IP Address: usually 192.168.8.1
  2. Enter your routers' username and password: usually both admin
  3. Head to the settings tab at the top
  4. Click on the Dialup menu
  5. In the submenu, click network settings
  6. Change the preferred mode to 4G Only,
  7. Apply the settings...
  8. Restart the router...

You should be connected to the original cell ID.

View more options
Highlighted
4: Newbie

I found an issue with the cell you are connected to. It appears that the mast is forcing you onto 3G instead of 4G. There is no fault with the 4G cell, and it is a fault with one of the base cabinets.

You can force your router to the 4G one by following these steps:

1. Head to 192.168.8.1
  2. Enter username and password, usually admin
  3. Head to settings
  4. Head to the Dialup menu
  5. Head to network settings
  6. Change the preferred mode to 4G Only.

The fault on the mast shouldn't matter anymore.

View more options
Highlighted

Thx for your help. The was already to 4G only and I had put back to Auto, restarted, put it back to 4G only and restarted. No change. 

CellMapper shows that the my cell 469016 was last seen on 1st March 2020.

Vodafone have done something.

View more options
Highlighted

Hi @MacNB Apologies for our delayed response. Lets take a look into your issue connecting to our network.  So I can check the mast you should be connecting to and if there are any issues, pop me your full postcode and I'll be happy to help. 

View more options
Highlighted

@Mark wrote:

Hi @MacNB Apologies for our delayed response. Lets take a look into your issue connecting to our network.  So I can check the mast you should be connecting to and if there are any issues, pop me your full postcode and I'll be happy to help. 

Thx @Mark. I sent you a PM.

View more options
Highlighted

I'm sorry @MacNB we're unable to accept or view PM's here. If you'd like to provide this privately, you can do this by adding it to your profile information, only yourself and the moderators will be able to view it. Alternatively, you can always pop us a private message on Facebook or Twitter and we'll be happy to take a look. Let me know where and when you've provided this and I'll get it picked up for you.

View more options
Highlighted

@Mark wrote:

I'm sorry @MacNB we're unable to accept or view PM's here. If you'd like to provide this privately, you can do this by adding it to your profile information, only yourself and the moderators will be able to view it. Alternatively, you can always pop us a private message on Facebook or Twitter and we'll be happy to take a look. Let me know where and when you've provided this and I'll get it picked up for you.

Hi @Mark the postcode is already in my personal profile if you could please take a look.

Many thanks.

View more options
Highlighted

Hi @MacNB I can see the service we offer in your area is a little patchy, however the mast you're connected to (85175) is working as it should and has experienced no recent outages. When did you notice a change in your service, and what you makes you feel this is the result of a mast being decommisioned?

View more options
Highlighted

@Mark wrote:

Hi @MacNB I can see the service we offer in your area is a little patchy, however the mast you're connected to (85175) is working as it should and has experienced no recent outages. When did you notice a change in your service, and what you makes you feel this is the result of a mast being decommisioned?

As I said in my original post, in the last couple of weeks (well 3 now), cell-id 469016 can no longer be connected to and the router now locks on cell-id 1032458 giving much reduced speed. 

Which cell-id does mast 85175 support ?

What mast-id is cell-id 469016 located on ?

Has the mast which hostes cell-id 469016 had it's power and/or coverage changed ?

The router appears to believe that the signal from cell-id 1032458 is "better" now than 469016 and switched but the speed  on the new cell is significantly lower - to a point that's it's not usable.

That is, signal is better but cell 1032458 is significantly congested ?

View more options
Highlighted

@MacNB I can see our Engineers did carry out a few changes on the site between the beginning of and mid-March. We do have have some planned improvements scheduled again for over the next few days. Once this starts, it'll pop up on our network status checker where you can monitor for updates. 

Once it's all completed, you should notice an improvement with your 4G on the router. If you find things with your speeds are the same after this, please drop us a message on Facebook or Twitter and we'll raise this back into our Engineers if needed.

View more options
Highlighted

Thx @Natasha.

To be honest I have never seen any useful info on that network work tracker link regarding any planned works.

Having said that, I have signed up for alerts for my area so will watchout for any changes.

I'll post back here by end of next week (1st may 2020) with any changes I notice.

View more options