main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Network queries

4G Voice Roaming not working?

Highlighted
2: Seeker

Since I signed up to Vodafone I have undertaken a number of trips, namely to Austria, Poland, Germany and Hungary so far. In none of these countries have I been able to make *any* 4G voice calls. As soon as I hit dial, no matter which network I'm with, it switches to 3G, once the call is over, its back to 4G. This is specifically 4G voice. 

It reminds me of the Voxi plans, where they don't support 4G voice at all, and will always switch to 3G.

In Germany and Hungary I am even using the Vodafone network. I've tried all permutations of networks that work, fo example in Poland I have Plus and Orange, in every case 4G calls are never possible.

Chat support keep saying it IS available and the same routine of "re-enabling it".  They say it is supported when roaming.

I'm using a iPhone X. My setting is Enable 4G Voice & Data. Wi-Fi calling is set to ON. I'm on a Red Entertainment plan. I am able to make 4G voice calls fine in the UK and Wi-Fi calling behaves the way it should.

I've even reset Network Settings on the iPhone. It never works. I've tested the SIM in an older 6S and the result is the same.

I am actually thinking that Vodafone does NOT support 4G voice roaming. Data works fine.

The networks I have chosen to roam with *do* support 4G voice for their local customers.

One further discrepancy is that using Orange network in Poland, calls cut out after a few mins with "call failed" but works fine on Plus. However, Orange have 4x data speed of Plus.

View more options
6 REPLIES 6
17: Community Champion

4g calling aka voLTE may indeed be available in the countries / places your visiting but Vodafone UK won't be able to guarantee all their services will work as they have no direct access or control over another countries network even if it's a Vodafone one.

Other options could be to use a local sim card if your phones unlocked to all network's @galdup214 

I do understand your wanting to use your Vodafone UK Sim card however. 

Current Phone > Samsung Note 9 _512Gb > Model: SM-N960 Hybrid-Duos.

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options

Thanks for getting in touch @galdup214. I'm really sorry for any confusion that's been caused. You're right, we don't support 4G and Wi-Fi Calling abroad. You can find more information on this in our Wi-Fi Calling Ts&Cs here.

View more options

Thank you for your reply.

Those terms only refer to Wi-Fi calling. I was aware that wasn't supported abroad.

What about the terms and conditions saying 4G voice is not supported abroad?

To be clear, globally, you restrict 4G voice roaming?

View more options

@galdup214 I'm sorry for any inconvenience that's been caused with you being unable to make 4G calls whilst you're roaming abroad. To benefit from 4G calling, you'll need to be in a 4G area. As you're abroad, 4G coverage isn't always guaranteed as you're connected to an abroad network.

If you're unable to make calls, send texts or use your data whilst you're roaming, we'll be happy to take a closer look into this. To do this, please contact our team via Facebook at Vodafone UK, or get in touch on Twitter using the handle @VodafoneUK. Don't forget to include the link to this thread, along with your username. 

View more options

Thanks again.

I'm a bit confused now, your colleague said 4G calling is *not* available abroad, but your message doesn't directly say it is, or isn't. 

Is this something that *should* work? 

I'm happy to get in touch when we get to the bottom of whether 4G calling is supported when roaming. I am also sure that a big company like yourselves will have a list of compatible roaming partners. Wouldn't it be surprising that Vodafone DE and Vodafone HU don't support it?

Thanks!

View more options
16: Advanced member

International VoLTE is technically complicated to implement and I have only come across one or two cases globally where it occurs. 

Vodafone are not restricting it, they simply do not support it, like most mobile network operators. 

View more options