Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

4g intermittent after 5g upgrade

JAMESORCHARD
4: Newbie

Hi I've a Samsung a70 on unlimited max 8months left on 2yr contract that had a consistent 4g 2bars and 12mbps average speed for the last 3 years. Recently vodafone have upgraded my local mast too 5g and is approx 1 mile from me with no obstacles in between. That's when the problem started now im struggling to get 3g and speeds between 0.50mbps and 3mbps if I turn airplane mode on then off I will get 4g and speeds upto 100mbps for a few moments then goes back to 3g. I've been on atleast 6 chats on tobi messenger been through all my settings numerous times even though my next-door neighbours signal has gone down hill aswell and my phone is fine when I travel elsewhere. On the last chat I was told my sim is not latching to 4g and has been purged and to wait 24hrs with phone set to only 3g then do a soft reset and turn 4g on again. I've no faith in this working what is my next step thanks for in advance for your time. Also have tried new sim and another phone and tried every network/settings they could throw at me and no change 

6 REPLIES 6

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hello @JAMESORCHARD 

This can be the mast settling after the upgrade but this shouldn't take longer than a few days.

Because your neighbour is experiencing the same issue this does lend weight to a network issue in your area.

Perhaps check in the Vodafone status-checker to see if there is any known issue with your local and via zooming out on the map any surrounding masts.

Please use the template in the following link and the Vodafone Social Media Team's here will be able to also check and if necessary pass to their Networking Team's.

Network-issues-initial-checks-and-template. I wish you all the best with this. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

1) Does the issue happen in just one location? If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service?  

Yes if I walk closer to the mast i get full signal

And 4g 

2) What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs? If you don't want this showing on the Community, add it to your profile here.

Gl91jg 

3) Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone?

Yes

4) What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs?

still getting clear phone calls but getting a lot of Internet blackspots around my property where before it was fine

5) Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all?

3g speed definitely slower and can only get 4g for a few moments after turning airplane mode on then off

6) When did you first notice this issue?

For the Last month since work on the mast

7) Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs?

Slightly higher 3g speeds around 11pm

Thanks for them details @JAMESORCHARD. We've checked the mast that you're connected to and we can see that we previously had work going in the area and there is some additional work scheduled, however, this work should not be service impacting. The 3G and 4G coverage is also showing you should be getting a service indoors and outdoors, the 5G service is patchy where you are. 

If you drop us a message over Facebook or Twitter with your Community username, we'll take some account details from you and look at getting this raised. You can find all the contact details here.  

Thank you just done a dm on twitter will keep the thread updated.

Cheers James 

Update on the 24hr 3g only nonsense didn't work.

Little update after loads of promises it would be sorted from countless chats on tobi and through twitter!  Nothing has changed! 

All vodafone customer service and technical support do is delay tactics ie keep you going through your phone settings (even though your phone is fine when you travel and your neighbours signal has gone crap too) reset your account or say the network team is working on it next week! Very Very poor service after 15years with vodafone time for a change at end of contract.