main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Network queries

Brighton - zero dat throughput (central)

Highlighted
4: Newbie

Is there any sign of improvements to capacity in brighton. Indeed in some areas even signal strength is dubious - 1 bar 4G (iPhone xs) is't unusual, or 1 bar 3G, but even in areas with 2,3 bars, data throughput is frequently 0 -- as in not enough to report the issue, or tweet, or indeed do Anything.

Areas outside the centre are more patchy. For example I was ok in kemptown this evening, but up on whitehawk hill (arqiva site - no idea if voda there too?) full signal but next to zero throughput again. I guess it depends upon which cells are connected too given buildings, hills etc.

I do enjoy vodafone in many places around the uk, and it's one of the best networks generally, but Brighton drives me nuts!

i've reported before but get the generic report request.. i've tried. never heard a thing. i'm sure the network team must know of capacity limitations. can this be confirmed? Is there at least a plan to try and improve/address?

View more options
4 REPLIES 4

here's a few postcodes
central: BN1 1YD, BN1 3GJ, 

hill: GPs coord - 50.825,-0.113

kemptown: BN2 0AL

View more options

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing a problem connecting to our network @planetf1. Thanks for confirming some postcodes where you're experiencing difficulty, I've checked these and can see there are currently no issues in v and BN1 3GJ. I've checked the sites serving these areas (23315 and 84385 respectively), these are working as expected and have experienced no recent outages. Our 3G service in the BN2 0AL area is a little patchy and we only guarantee this whilst outside. We do offer a strong 2 and 4G service in this area, the mast serving you in this area (23316) is also working as expected. We're unable to check our coverage based on GPS co-ordinates, if you can provide a postcode covering this location, I'll be happy to check this for you.

View more options

Thanks for checking.

I am using 4G (including VoLTE and access to 800 Mhz etc on an iPhone XS) so not too concerned about 3G - it was only in terms of backup when 4G not working.

The GPS location was 'whitehawk hill' - I was out walking and it's a very large mast covered in antenna. It doesn't have a postcode I am aware of. Closest building is probably Brighton Racecourse at BN2 9XZ.

When you say the 2/4G is working as expected, if we take 4G would that statement also mean there's no known capacity issues? So expecting at least a few Mbps each way would be reasonable? 

Very odd. What is the best way of persuing this further. I am around the area most weekends (but not for the next few). I do use the 'network satisfaction' option in the app - but note my other thread -- it requies a data connection to send the report..... 

Could it in any way relate to the sim? I find this unlikely since I re-contracted just a few months back, and the issue was same before/after - 2 diff physical sims. Indeed 2 diff phones too (previous was an iPhone 7plus, now xs max)

Or could there be any other related 'contract'; settings (unlikely given above)?

I've heard some people say they have problems/it's awful, others say they have none - all on vodafone. It's very difficult to pin down based in individual observations, need more technical details...

View more options

That is strange @planetf1, if there is an issue with our network in a particular location, this would usually affect everyone in the area. I've checked the postcode for Brighton racecourse and we've recently been undertaking some maintenance work in this area to help improve our coverage, this started on 25 March and was completed on 14 April. I'm sorry if your service was disrupted during this time. If you continue to experience issues when trying to connect, let me know and I'll be happy to take another look into this for you.

View more options