main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Network queries

Calls keep going silent at handset. Happened on old phone/sim and brand new phone (Galaxy s9) & sim

Highlighted
1: Seeker

I am having ongoing problems with my phone going silent during calls. The problem has been happening for a few months on an old Samsung A5 & sim, but it also happens on my brand new Samsung S9 with new Sim.

The receiver/caller on the other end of the call can clearly hear my conversation, but i just get silence at the handset. The silence starts 20-40 seconds into the call with no indication that it is going to happen. Sometimes the signal / sound returns, but sometimes it doesn't and the call is just dropped.

The issue happens outside and inside my home. I have an excellent signal. The issue never used to happen and it does not happen on all calls, maybe one in every 4 or 5 calls. I have been with vodafone for 11 years and it only started happening this year.

Is there any chance that the 4G wifi signal produced by my EE box could be interfering with the vodafone reception? The reason for the EE box is that our internet speed on our farm is poor. I dont think this is related to wifi. 

View more options
1 REPLY 1
17: Community Champion

Hi @SWMelville 

As this is an intermittent issue it's going to be hard to nail down what's happening.

Does this issue happen everywhere or just at home ?

A good troubleshooting thread and template is Network-issues-initial-checks-and-template.

Also the Vodafone Status-checker can help to highlight any known issues.

If network signal is poor then you could try forcing the phone onto 2G which is a more stable connection for voice calls which is usually attained by turning off 4G and 3G in your phones Network Connections Settings.

I would think your EE box would cause any issue is your phone was trying to use a feature called voLTE aka 4G voice calling. But that feature is only available in certain criteria and if a phone supports it.

Personally from what you write I think this is purely down to fringe coverage / not spots.

You could try other options such as a Vodafone Sure Signal and or Vodafone wi-fi-calling if you meet the criteria to use it.

Current Phone > Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B.

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options