Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

CW8 - Weaverham, Cheshire

Number6
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Starting from 8 October we have not been able to receive calls when iPhone setting is on 4g.

This applies to myself, wife or anyone visiting our house that is on Vodafone so clearly it is a network problem with the Weaverham mast. Go 2 miles down the road and everything works okay. Rang Vodafone twice but getting nowhere. May have to change to a different network but uptil now we have been happy with Vodafone.

20 REPLIES 20

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Calls over 4g known as voLTE is only live in certain cities and on a few handsets right now. 

So when your iPhone takes or makes a call it should automatically drop from 4g to 3g or lower. 

It's a conundrum as it works away from your local area. 

If you turn off 4g in your phone do calls then come in Ok ?

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hi Thanks for your reply. Yes I receive calls if I set the phone to 3G but on 4G I don't. Everything worked fine just over a week ago. My wife's phone is the same and my eldest daughter who is on Vodafone visited yesterday and had the same issue, the 4G signal does not dip to 3G to take calls but it does in Winnington a few miles away.  My youngest daughter had no problem, she is with EE.

BandOfBrothers

@Number6 wrote:

Hi Thanks for your reply. Yes I receive calls if I set the phone to 3G but on 4G I don't. Everything worked fine just over a week ago. My wife's phone is the same and my eldest daughter who is on Vodafone visited yesterday and had the same issue, the 4G signal does not dip to 3G to take calls but it does in Winnington a few miles away.  My youngest daughter had no problem, she is with EE.

You’re very welcome @Number6

I’m thinking then this is a glitch with the phone or SIM cards !

or volte is being tested - maybe. 

Current Phone  >

It can't be the phone or SIM because it's the same with any phone on Vodafone.

I'm out of contract so have asked for an unlocking code. I'll move to O2 or EE although O2 use the same local mast.

thanks again

BandOfBrothers

It’s a shame you feel that there is no other avenues but to move Networks.  

When Vodafone reply to your iPhone unlock request be aware it won’t be unlocked at that point. 

As the iPhone does not unlock via a physical code that’s normally typed into the phone dialler but instead by Apple themselves releasing it from their data base it’s instead unlocked via inserting an active Alternative Networks SIM card in it and that’ll complete the process. 

From sn iPhone 5 hooking up to iTunes isn’t normally required. 

Apple can very occasionally take up to 30 days to complete unlocking. 

You’ll need to update the Apn settings in the iPhone if inserting the other networks SIM card does not do it automatically. 

Although mast sharing happens that does not mean signal strength and data speeds will be the same as Networks have their own equipment on them. 

Please test out a Networks services via a payg SIM card where you Live, work and commute. 

All that said :Smiling: I hope your situation improves so you don’t need to move. Switching manually between settings is annoying as it should be seamless I understand. 

Take care. 

Current Phone  >

Thanks for the advise, I don't really want to move networks, I've been with Vodafone for 4 years now with no problems. I will ring customer services again tomorrow and ask them to check if they are working on the network, if so I'll give them a chance to sort it. I'll let you know what they say. Thanks again.

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Number6 We don't want you to move networks either 😬

So we're able to look into the coverage side of things for you, please could you let us know your full postcode. If you don't want to post this publically, you can add it to your profile here

Hi Alex

My post code is CW8 3HR. Both myself and my wife would be very grateful if you could look into it for us.

Best Regards

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Number6 I've checked your local serving site (1086) and it's currently performing correctly. 

I can also see the 2G coverage in your area is good, however 3G/4G are patchy - this may be why you're having issues when your phone settings are set to 4G. 

So we're able to take a closer look into this, please contact us directly using the link in the private message I've sent 🙂

@BandOfBrothers I have had a look down the VoLTE route, however I can't find any information to say it's currently being tested in this area. We'll raise the issue with our Network engineers and see if they can find anything on their end.