Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

DT1 postcode very poor signal - misrepresented on coverage checker

jps8017
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Post Title: DT1 - Dorchester

1) Does the issue happen in just one location? If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service?

Most of the town - the Dorchester South station seems to have 4G, but even the Vodafone shop in the centre of town has a booster the Vodafone advisor in the shop told me.

2) What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs? Most of DT1

3) Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone? Have 3 iphones and 1 iPad on my account all with same issues

4) What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs? Signal drops to 2G or one bar on 3G most of the time on all devices. Having been a long long standig customer with Vodafone, even in Cornwall the service was a lot better.

5) Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all? As above

6) When did you first notice this issue? When I moved here! Vodafone coverage checker states its all 4G everywhere but even when i called the call centre, I was advised this was not the case. The chap did a live check of the signal and said it was not reflecting what the website said. I did make a complaint but no one has called me back out it (2 weeks ago)

7) Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs?

It is permanent issue problem across all my devices - and since I am paying over £130 a month for this awful service, and that I will be living here for the next few years, would anyone buy a new 2 year contract with such an issue?

8 REPLIES 8

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@jps8017 Please provide us with the full postcode of your home location, in order for us to look into your specific issue further. 

If you don't want this showing on the Community, please add it to your profile here

I have uploaded the details Alex. Thanks 

PedroC1999
16: Advanced member

There are at least two 4G servers for Dorchester: 

Bridport Rd, Dorchester, DT2 9FT (Over 40 Meters high)

Dorchester South Rail Car Park, DT1 1GA

There is a further server at:

The Avenue Stadium/Weymouth Av, Dorchester DT1 2RY

This appears to not be 4G and actually 3G 2100 only.

To be Beaconised:

Water Tower, DT1 2FB

Bridport Rd, Dorchester DT1 2FB

I don't know about 4G masts but what I do know is the one at DT2 will be fine for Poundbury, but being that Poundbury is elevated over Dorchester then I assume that means poor or no signal to Dorchester east (where we are). Also the other one at the station I did say I got 4G signal there but walk away a few hundred feet and it goes. If anyone would like to ask your own shop guys in Dorchester town centre about the signal, then they advised me that it's not so good where we or even they are hence they have a booster. Walk a few feet down the main Trinity St away from them and the signal goes. Actual results beat assumed results. Even your own call centre chap, again as I said, checked and said signal isn't consistent when talking even 3G never mind 4G. Certainly nothing like your coverage checker results. 

PedroC1999

I understand your frustration for real.

I've looked at some user sourced data sets and can see the signal in parts of Pundbury and specific parts of Dorchester does look really quite bad on not just Vodafone.

Vodafone stores almost exclusively have cells in them irrespective of the signal in their locality.

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@jps8017 Taking a more detailed look into your area from our end, you should be able to get a good 2G connection. 

3G & 4G are limited, however the 4G coverage looks to be better in your area compared to 3G. 

Thanks Alex. The signal is so inconsistent it will go from 2G to low 3G to a few seconds of 4G list sat in the exact same place. Definitely not worth paying so much money for every month. How do I get this escalated with the fact that I am paying so much for a signal that clearly doesn't deliver on the 2 contracts that are part of my account? Especially how do we run an iPad solely on a 4G contract when there is clearly so little signal for it to operate on. The other two are sim only and I can move them. Thanks. 

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@jps8017 So we're able to take a closer look into this for you, please send us across the information I've sent via private message