main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Network queries

Data Throttled Abroad

Administrator

@donnyguy That's great to see 😁

View more options
2: Seeker

Just came across this thread after experiencing issues with Vodafone UK's roaming data speeds. Much the same story with me as many others - I travel around Europe a lot and while I have an EE line from work I also have a 25GB Vodafone SIM primarily because over the past years Vodafone's roaming always worked perfectly.

Like one of the other posters I'm in Cyprus just now (I visit often) and the 4G data speeds on Cyta-Vodafone are highly erratic. Prior to the EU roaming legislation coming into force I never had an issue. Local SIM's on the same network get consistent fast speeds (15-60mb) download on 4G whereas my UK sim in exactly the same location seems to struggle to get over 10mb in exactly the same location with speeds sometimes dropping to an unusably low level at certain times of the day.  Clearly there is some kind of traffic shaping going on as the speed is neatly capped to 10mb and the upload can be more than double at 20mb when downloads stick to 10mb.

Very dissapointed and will likely ditch this 2nd Vodafone line as it now makes EE look good despite their own roaming issues (no call waiting, no call divert facility and throttling which seems to now be sorted).

View more options

Further to my previous post speeds this morning dropped down to 0.5mb and have just recovered to the usual “shaped” level - note the clear evidence with the upload being substantially faster than download. Local sim on the same network downloads at 42mb right now. See attached Speedtest screenshot....

@ticex - Thanks for providing all of that information.

Please post the results of a speed test while using 3G.

View more options

Thanks for the reply @Gemma.

I've done speedtests just now on 4G and then 3G in the same location. Ironically the download on 3G is actually slightly faster! 4G was 7.4mb Down / 17.9mb up and 3G 7.6mb down / 1.3mb up. Also checked my friends local Cyta-Vodafone using the same speedtest server and it acheived 38mb on 4G 1st time and then 42mb on the 2nd test. 3G was only marginally different to my handset which I guess could be down to the APN being in the UK for my sim. Thanks again. See below for the speedtests:

IMG_4942.jpgIMG_4941.jpg

View more options

Further to my previous post here is a screenshot of the local handset in the same location. Just for completeness I've eliminated the chance of it being something to do with the handset as on the previous tests we swapped the sims from my iphone 8 to my friends Android handset and vice versa. It made no difference so it's 100% the UK Vodafone SIM that's the issue. EE sim is also delivering 40mb++ speeds on their preferred 4G partner network MTN. Overall, very dissapointed in the Vodafone sim....

Screenshot_20171004-170231.jpg

View more options

@ticex - Thanks again for running those tests and coming back to us.

We can get this looked into, if you’re still in Cyprus.

We’ll need to take some further details from you, please send us your details by following the instructions in this private message.

View more options

Just following up as despite sending through all the information requested by email I haven't received any further updates. I went to another country for the past week and data speeds were perfect. However, having just returned to Cyprus the speeds are slower than ever with moments where they are unusable. EE phone working perfectly so I'll stick to using that for now and if this drags on for another month or longer will probably move our Vodafone lines over to EE - pity as some aspects of the Vodafone roaming service are more attractive than EE but like this it's just not usable.

View more options

@ticex - We’ve chased an update on the fault we’ve raised with our Network engineers (fault reference INC3128504).

We’ll be back in touch as soon as we’ve any news.

I’m sorry for any inconvenience this is causing.

View more options

Hi @ticex, I can see that our dedicated team have since been in touch regarding INC3128504.

Should you experience any further issues in the future, please don't hesitate to let us know.

View more options