main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Network queries

Data roaming not working

2: Seeker

I've been roaming to Australia as I do most years, everything worked fine for about a week ... but the last few days, mobile data on my Vodafone-supplied S8+ has largely stopped working.  I see the usual "4G" status indicator but all web sites time out with "took too long to respond", email and maps also time out.  What is strange is that my wife's phone in the same Red+ group is able to browse fine; and mine has been a couple of times in the evening out in the suburbs (annoyingly around the time I call 191 ...), but never during the day in town.  According to the 191 guys and MyVodafone I have 600Mb of data left on my UK monthly plan and I even paid a tenner to add some more.  I have followed instructions to reset network / check APN which the 191 guys texted me, removed the SIM, restarted, etc.  I'm starting to get a bit annoyed because it's very hard to get help from them down here at the moment with "the system" continually having planned upgrades during UK night.  Anyone got any ideas?  Many thanks, William

View more options
8 REPLIES
17: Community Champion

As a process of elimination can you try your sim card in your wife's phone to help rule out a phone issue @william-c

I've seen past posts where a party of people have been abroad all on Vodafone UK contracts and someone has encountered issues which seems more of a glitch. 

Unfortunately as Vodafone understandably do not have access to the host network your roaming on they can't investigate that side of things. 

Therefore Vodafone can't guarantee everything will work. 

Sometimes a soft reboot by turning the phone off and on helps. 

And manually choosing another network in the phones connection settings. 

Some people who have unlocked to all network phones use local sim cards. 

Current Phone > Samsung Note 9 _512Gb > Model: SM-N960 Hybrid-Duos.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options

Thank you, good thought.  Her phone with my SIM could browse fine with mobile data, just after mine could not; also mine/hers did not work.  I couldn't see any difference in the APN settings between the two.  Confusingly mine/mine worked again for a minute after swapping the SIMs back but has stopped again ...  I get a "not available" error if I try to switch network away from Vodafone AU to Telstra or Optus so can't try data with them.  Not sure what that leaves to try, unless you have any further thoughts.  Many thanks again!

View more options
Administrator

@william-c Are your calls and texts working fine when your data isn't? You could always try to turn your data roaming off, restart your phone and then turn it back on to see if this refreshes you onto the network. From what you've mentioned when testing your SIM in another phone, it doesn't look like the issue is related to the SIM/network and more so looks to be something with your phone. 

View more options

Thank you, just tried that (again) with no luck.  Yes calls, texts and wifi are working fine; it's not obvious how a hardware prob with the handset could allow succesful APN login but then time out on data xfer (and as I mentioned it does sometimes work, in at least one location, for a minute).  Without debugging on the network side I guess there is not much to be done, I will confirm it works in the UK when I get back and take it from there.  Thanks again ..

View more options
Administrator

@william-c Were you able to test the SIM card in your phone to see if the data worked? How long have you got left abroad? If it's still the same when back in the UK, it's worth taking the phone into your local Vodafone store so our team are able to check for any issues and send off for repair if needed. 

View more options
4: Newbie

Exactly the same thing has happened to my daughter who is also in Australia and on the same date. It seems to be linked to a change on the Vodafone platform after overnight maintenance was done. I have been talking through a customer service adviser who has now gone on leave until Sunday so am left in the dark again. I see more maintenence was done last night but still my daughter cannot get access to data services (she can text and call though). She has one of the new Red Entertainment plans with the Global Roaming Plus (taken out early October). All worked fine for about 3 weeks after she landed in Australia and then suddenly stopped working on the 16th Nov when she also started to get charged for the data. She then hit the monthly roaming cap spend and then could not access data any further and everything we have tried to lift the data cap has also failed. Today she is still without data, which as a lone young female travelling on her own in Australia, and tomorrow going to Indonesia and then Phillipines, is incredibly worrying for us as her parents as we took out this plan in order that she would have access to data that she relies on while traveling. I have a document logging everything that has been done and who we have spoken to since the 16th Nov to date if there is someone at Vodafone who can look at this and help - please!

View more options
4: Newbie

Did you resolve this as my daughter has the exact same problem. She is in Australia right now and had data for about 3 weeks and then suddenly lost it on the 16th November. At that same date Vodafone upgraded something overnight. Went from being on Global Roaming Plus to out of package - then hit data spend cap and now she still can't access data at all and we can't get the cap to lift. Whatever Vodafone did has created enormous problems from having a reliable and working data connection to having no data - she is left stranded in Australia now with no data connection and after days of discussion with Vodafone still cannot get a data connection. I did post this earlier but it seems the admins removed it - wonder why???

View more options

@philharland I'm sorry to see that your daughter has been experiencing data issues while travelling in Australia. 

We'd like to take a look into the account for her to see why this has happened and why her plan has changed.

So we can do this, please ask the account holder of her number to follow the details I've sent in the private message that you'll receive shortly. A member of our team will then be in touch to advise further.

View more options