cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Does Vodafone throttle or restrict 4G data speed?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does Vodafone throttle or restrict 4G data speed?

I'm just wondering as when I first got Vodafone 4G back in the launch days my data speed in Leeds was amazing, it would regularly be 90-100mb data speed all the time.

These days the speeds are lacking. I've noticed more recently my 4G data speed isn't that great, it's now only around 10mb in Leeds, Sheffield and York all over the cities where I am most of the time.

Does Vodafone restrict this? I know that 100mb speeds I used to experience was likely due to much fewer people using it but 10mb seems a bit ridiculous for 4G, especially in city centres where it's typically very fast.

I thought speeds would be getting better over time, not worse. Especially with the new iPhone 7 claiming up to 450mb speeds :Winking_smiley:

26 REPLIES 26

PedroC1999
16: Advanced member

I regularly get over 100mbps on Vodafone, even in some quite busy areas. Rural ones with just L08, I see 60mbps now and then

They stopped me from posting!!!

Nabs
17: Community Champion

@Edmund53 what do you mean?

However, to save you time, I can advise you the following speed guidelines will be found for your postcode: 

2G upload and download speeds should fall within 0 Kbps - 200 Kbps

3G download should fall within 630 Kbps - 17.0 Mbps and upload between 100 Kbps - 4.2 Mbps 

4G download should fall within 3.3 Mbps - 49.0 Mbps and upload between 400 Kbps - 21.0 Mbps 

As mentioned previous your 4G download and upload speed fall well within our expected speeds for the area and is therefore not considered a fault.

Post's for some reason are getting removed due to content. Three times I have posted and they have been removed. 

Rahim
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Edmund53 Do you have a specific postcode we can check? 

@Anonymous You may be experiencing congestion issues within your location. The information given by @Nabs is correct in relation to us not throttling our customers 3G/4G data speeds. 

@Rahim Hi What is frustrating is the lack of information on the coverage checker I live in a village, so there is not a lot of congestion the 4G map only shows purple which is good. It is only when you complain you are informed the min speed is 3.3mbs !!!!! This is never highlighted. I get 7mbs on 4G

Postcode PA14 6XH

This was taken in Glasgow City Centre.

Test Date: 19 Dec 2016 17:03
Download: 1.59 Mbps
Upload: 8.82 Mbps
Ping: 38 ms
Connection Type: Cellular
Server: Carlisle
External IP: 148.252.128.130
Internal IP: 10.238.254.250
Latitude: 55.8577
Longitude: -4.2593

Nabs

@Edmund53 I'm guessing from your postcode, @Rahim would be able to confirm, that coverage at home is coming from across the Clyde at Dumbarton. If you factor in the 20,000 or so people who live there there could potentially be quite a few people connected to the same mast.

As for your speed results in Glasgow; I'm guessing you're using speedtest.net to get those results? Try using Vodafone Net Perform, you may see different results. I've just tried the speedtest.net Carlisle server and got 15.3Mbps whereas Vodafone NP is giving me 22Mbps

Rahim
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Anonymous You’ll typically notice that your upload and download rate may vary/decrease when more people join the network.

Do you notice similar speeds when testing your SIM in a different mobile device?

@Edmund53I’ve entered your postcode into our Network status checker and can see the option for ‘View data speed’. This will give you an estimation of the speeds to expect within your area.

I’ve also taken a look at your 4G serving site (217) and can see it’s performing as expected, with no dips in performance or faults which would impact your service.  

Do you have a specific postcode of where you’re experiencing issues within Glasgow city centre?

PedroC1999

"Please note as you're in a suburnan [sic] area, your 4G data speeds won't be as fast as what you'd experience within a densely populated urban area" is a very strong assertion to make. While urban areas do usually have the highest mast density, deployed spectrum and connected user capacity, they also have a disproportionately high user density. Undoubtedly your assertion is true for certain combinations of urban and suburban locations. However, I do not feel it reflects the broader radio network environment that is the UK.