Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Dropping calls when 4G enabled

DylEvs
4: Newbie

After speaking to 4 different Vodafone staff with them all telling me different things, I really have had enough. 

Whenever 4G is enabled on my Galaxy S8 my phone will randomly drop from 3 bars of signal to 0 (circle with a line through it) for a couple of seconds whenever I'm in a call (making the call end). It also happens sometimes when I'm trying to send a text. 

Today I've not even been able to have a 5 second conversation with anyone as it drops signal as soon as I answer the phone. 

I dont have this issue at all when I put my phone on '2G Only' mode, but obviously switching between them both isn't practrical. This also happens if the phone has 4G enabled but I'm connected to Wifi. 

3 people on LiveChat have said there are no issues in the area with signal, and one said they'd reset some things and that I'd receive a text 15 minutes later which means it's all fixed - but I didn't receive a text. I've been told this isn't relevant but all this has been happening since I unlocked my old phone.

I would be very grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction or offer any advice. Thank you

EDIT: Signal and data is now unusable on my phone. It changes from 4G to no network every few seconds. This has caused my battery to drain about 50% in an hour and the phone is hot.

7 REPLIES 7

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @DylEvs

Seems your not alone in this !

A recent similar thread > https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Network-queries/Cannot-receive-calls-while-on-4g-in-Weaverham-Cheshi...

Can you try using another phone 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Ah, thanks! I did try searching for people with the same issue but couldnt find anything. I currently dont have access to another phone but that sounds like a good idea. Not sure if it's worth mentioning I'm currently in Westhoughton (BL5) but have the same issue in Salford, even in North Wales.

BandOfBrothers

You’re welcome @DylEvs

As mentioned a phone should seamlessly drop from 4g to lower so a call connects and then seamlessly switch back up after the call has ended - unless voLTE is active. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

DylEvs
4: Newbie

Is anyone else able to to help? Data and signal is now unusable. It changes to no network to 4G every few seconds, and my phone isn't allowing me to change to 2G only as I'm guessing it needs to have signal in the first place to change it.

I left my phone for just over an hour and the batteries drained 50% and the phones hot. It's on airplane mode now with WiFi enabled just so that I can use the phone for something at least.

Any help from Vodafone??

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@DylEvs - With you saying your phone is overheating, it sounds like your phone’s faulty.  

Please see our repair process.

In regards to the signal issues you’re facing, your phone should allow you to select 2G even if there’s no signal. It sounds like this also maybe a phone issue.

Thought I'd update this..

I went to a Vodafone store and got a new SIM card and was told it'd fix the issue, it fixed the signal dropping every few seconds so I was actually able to use my phone for a week, but it still dropped calls whenever I tried. I gave up for the week and ended up doing a factory reset last night and it made no difference. However, since about 3pm this afternoon - my phones been stuck on airplane mode as it's gone back to connecting and disconnecting to the network every few seconds meaning my phone is unusable. 

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@DylEvs I'm sorry to hear your device is having trouble again. This issue does sound like it's relating to your device. 

For support with a repair, please see here for more information.