main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Network queries

E16 - Silvertown - 4G Broadband

SOLVED
View solved solution
2: Seeker

1) Does the issue happen in just one location? Yes, although network speeds are pretty slow in the local area. 

2) What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs? E16 2TG

3) Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone? Yes, 

4) What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs?

After being advised that 5G network is good in my area by the advisor, i'm struggling to get a usable 4G connection on my 5G router. Speaking to the advisors they try resetting the account, asking me to reset the device but performance continues to be slow to unusable. (currently 2mbps). We're in a new build area so all the masts are outside of the area and we're now surrounded by tall buildings, and the advisors seem unable to give us any view on when we can expect speeds to improve.  The last advisor suggested that they would submit a request for a 5G mast to be built for me, which while enthusiastic,  suggests that they're not able to provide much real help but are willing to promise anything.

5) Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all? all

6) When did you first notice this issue? speeds have not been great since i received the router and are getting worse as more buildings are finished and more people move into the area, 

7) Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs? Permanent

I've attached a couple of screenprints showing the network performance in the area and the local celltower which is just at the edge of this estate. it would be great to understand what are my options.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

@Sleepzz When using the SIM in the Gigacube what colour lights are you seeing on it?

View solution in original position

View more options
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
17: Community Champion

Hello @Sleepzz 

Looking at the Vodafone Network Checker it gives an indication that 3G and 4G should be Ok but this is not a guaranteed user experience.

It reports that there is no 5G coverage.

Unfortunately when new buildings are built and population increases this can affect speeds as more people are latched onto the masts and the buildings can deflect signal.

The Vodafone Social Media Teams here feedback these types of templates to their networking Teams to give them an overview of real world usage that customers are receiving.

I hope your situation improves asap.

Screenshot_20200108-051105_Samsung Internet.jpg

Current Phone > Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B.

Samsung One Ui 2.0  / Android 10.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options
Highlighted

Thanks @bandofbrothers for your response.

Unfortunately the Vodafone tool isn't accurate for our are . 

I'm keen to understand if anyone knows a way to encourage Vodafone to increase the density of masts in our area to take account of the new builds. There are another few buildings being finished in the next couple of months so things are just likely to get worse. 

View more options
Highlighted

@Sleepzz I've taken a closer look into the area you've given and you're between very patchy to no 5G coverage.

The site (79924) is performing correctly and with no known errors. I can see we don't have any planned maintenance for the mast just yet, but any future improvements which may help with your 5G coverage will show on our network status checker.

View more options
Highlighted

Hi natasha, 

Thanks for the response. On my original post I uploaded a screen shot from open signal which shows the poor 4g signal we're getting in my area. Especially indoor . 

View more options
Highlighted

Thanks for getting back to us @Sleepzz - what device are you using at the moment? 

View more options
Highlighted

Hi TJ!

I've got one of the 5G gigacubes but the reception and speed was shocking (3mbps down 1mbps up  ) so I switched the simcard into a TP-Link Archer MR600 AC1200 Mbps which doubled the speed to 5mbps down and 2.5 Mbps. So as you can see slightly slower than the very good 5g coverage that I was promised by the advisor.

Definitely open to suggestions, if I owned the flat I would consider putting an aerial on the balcony but I'm not sure the landlord would be keen on me drilling a hole for the wire. 

View more options
Highlighted

Thanks for confirming @Sleepzz!

Have you switched down from 5G to 4G in the GigaCube's settings? To do this, please connect to the device via Wi-Fi and log in to the Admin Page (to access this, please type 192.168.8.1 into your browser and go directly to the webpage).

Your default admin passwords can be found on the label of the GigaCube's base. You'll need to follow these steps:

• Go to the Settings tab and click Dial-Up
  • In the dropdown options, please select Network Settings
  • In the Preferred Mode dropdown, you'll then be able to choose 4G
  • If this doesn't improve things for you, please go to Network Search Mode (instead of Preferred Mode) and select Manual

Please let me know how you get on after trying this! Your 4G connection should be a lot better than your 5G connection in the area.

View more options
Highlighted

Hi Natasha,

Thank you for the advice.

Unfortunately when I log into the router I can't find the options you describe. The router seems to be fixed on auto search for network mode and doesn't give me an option to change. I've uploaded a picture to show what I mean.  Currently getting 3mbps down and 0.5mbps up so the router isnt that much use as a broadband connection so definitely open to any further suggestions on what can be done. 

View more options
Highlighted

@Sleepzz When using the SIM in the Gigacube what colour lights are you seeing on it?

View solution in original position

View more options
Highlighted

Hi there ,

No light on 5G and a yellow light and sometimes a green light on 4G. 

Definitely nowhere near the 5g speeds promised before I signed up. 

View more options
Highlighted

@Sleepzz As your 5G looks to be patchy to no coverage, the Gigacube would struggle to connect to this service. If the light is showing as yellow on 4G, your connection may improve when repositioning the Gigacube to an area you experience a stronger signal connection. Please ensure you're avoiding any barriers that would affect your signal. 

If it's green, fewer devices being connected to it should improve your connection and speeds. The following might help too:
- Connect to Gigacube via Wi-Fi and log in to the Admin Page 

- Go to Settings then System

- From the System dropdown, choose Diagnosis 

- From the Diagnosis Method dropdown, select Traceroute

- In the Destination IP Address/Domain Name field, type a web address (this can be any commonly used web page)

- You'll get a popup to say a test is in progress

If this fails, I'd advise moving the Gigacube to a better position. Should there be no improvement with your 4G connection, please let me know.

View more options