main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Network queries

EH12 9DN, Edinburgh Airport

1: Seeker

1) Does the issue happen in just one location? If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service?

Only at Edinburgh airport, inside the terminal building

2) What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs? If you don't want this showing on the Community, add it to your profile here.

EH12 9DN

3) Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone?

I haven't tried that, but others on the vodafone network have the same problem.

4) What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs?

Apparently good reception, but very slow internet access, for example when trying to view a web page or app on my phone, or when trying to use my phone as a personal hotspot. Making voice calls generally works fine.

5) Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all?

On 3G. I haven't been able to receive 4G inside the terminal building.

6) When did you first notice this issue?

around 3-6 months ago, so summer 2017

7) Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs?

It seems permanent/persistent - I'm not in the airport all the time of course, but I'm there a lot, and every visit in the last few months has had the same issue. Because there is a large group of people in one place, many of them using the internet while they wait for their flight, I wonder if it is some kind of capacity issue, in terms of number of connections to the nearest transmitter?

View more options
2 REPLIES

@billroberts I've taken a look into the area for you and can see that you should be getting good 2G, 3G and 4G coverage when there.

The sites (4000 for 2G, and 14835 for 3G and 4G) for the area are both performing correctly, without any faults or issues.

Due to the location, the amount of traffic connecting to the site or the machinery in the area could be impacting the service.

If you'd like to us to raise a case with our Engineers who can investigate this further, I've sent you a private message with details to get in touch with our team. Please be aware however that we'd require specific examples of failures from the past 24 hours to include these in our investigations, as stated in my message.

View more options
2: Seeker

Natasha wrote:

@billroberts I've taken a look into the area for you and can see that you should be getting good 2G, 3G and 4G coverage when there.

The sites (4000 for 2G, and 14835 for 3G and 4G) for the area are both performing correctly, without any faults or issues.

Due to the location, the amount of traffic connecting to the site or the machinery in the area could be impacting the service.

If you'd like to us to raise a case with our Engineers who can investigate this further, I've sent you a private message with details to get in touch with our team. Please be aware however that we'd require specific examples of failures from the past 24 hours to include these in our investigations, as stated in my message.

I’ve been in Edinburgh airport many times and have been unable to pick up any signal apart from 3G from the mast on top of the terminal. It is very unusable and have to rely on the free wifi

View more options