main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Network queries

EH12 9DN, Edinburgh Airport

2: Seeker

1) Does the issue happen in just one location? If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service?

Only at Edinburgh airport, inside the terminal building

2) What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs? If you don't want this showing on the Community, add it to your profile here.

EH12 9DN

3) Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone?

I haven't tried that, but others on the vodafone network have the same problem.

4) What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs?

Apparently good reception, but very slow internet access, for example when trying to view a web page or app on my phone, or when trying to use my phone as a personal hotspot. Making voice calls generally works fine.

5) Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all?

On 3G. I haven't been able to receive 4G inside the terminal building.

6) When did you first notice this issue?

around 3-6 months ago, so summer 2017

7) Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs?

It seems permanent/persistent - I'm not in the airport all the time of course, but I'm there a lot, and every visit in the last few months has had the same issue. Because there is a large group of people in one place, many of them using the internet while they wait for their flight, I wonder if it is some kind of capacity issue, in terms of number of connections to the nearest transmitter?

View more options
17 REPLIES

@billroberts I've taken a look into the area for you and can see that you should be getting good 2G, 3G and 4G coverage when there.

The sites (4000 for 2G, and 14835 for 3G and 4G) for the area are both performing correctly, without any faults or issues.

Due to the location, the amount of traffic connecting to the site or the machinery in the area could be impacting the service.

If you'd like to us to raise a case with our Engineers who can investigate this further, I've sent you a private message with details to get in touch with our team. Please be aware however that we'd require specific examples of failures from the past 24 hours to include these in our investigations, as stated in my message.

View more options
4: Newbie

@Natasha wrote:

@billroberts I've taken a look into the area for you and can see that you should be getting good 2G, 3G and 4G coverage when there.

The sites (4000 for 2G, and 14835 for 3G and 4G) for the area are both performing correctly, without any faults or issues.

Due to the location, the amount of traffic connecting to the site or the machinery in the area could be impacting the service.

If you'd like to us to raise a case with our Engineers who can investigate this further, I've sent you a private message with details to get in touch with our team. Please be aware however that we'd require specific examples of failures from the past 24 hours to include these in our investigations, as stated in my message.

I’ve been in Edinburgh airport many times and have been unable to pick up any signal apart from 3G from the mast on top of the terminal. It is very unusable and have to rely on the free wifi

View more options

I can confirm the issue. I have been many times to Edinburgh airport, and every time it is a struggle to even use whatsapp inside the terminal. 4g coverage is very patchy inside, whilst 3g has excellent coverage, but barely exchanges any data at all. 

View more options

I will be at the airport in the next few weeks, will report back and see if it’s any better

View more options
Administrator

Thanks for letting us know @Scooty997 😊

View more options

This has been an issue for a long time, I travel through Edinburgh airport twice a week and despite showing full 3g signal there is no data transfer.

I tried to use the speed checker on the vodafone app, but it even struggled with this and is stuck on 'Preparing your speed test on 3G'

What evidence do the engineer team need?

View more options

Thanks for joining the thread @AMAC1990 - I've sent you a private message with details to contact our team.

We'll need specific timed examples from the past 24 hours of failures when connecting to your data, along with the details requested in the message to raise this to our Engineers. 

View more options

Honestly, this really needs to get fixed. Full bars of 3G, but no throughput. I’d expect 4G considering it’s edinburgh airport, but at least I’d expect to have some form of data that actually works

View more options
Administrator

@Scooty997 This issue is currently being investigated under INC3303943. 

I do apologise for any inconvenience caused when visiting this location. 

You're able to register for updates on our network status checker

View more options

Here is a Speedtest in Edinburgh airport this morning, unusable

Administrator

Thanks for the update @Scooty997 🙂

Just to let you know, this is still being investigated under INC3303943. 

View more options

Hi there, just had a text to say this has been fixed. Alex can you confirm? Thanks

View more options
Administrator

I was literally just about to update this thread @Scooty997 - you beat me to it! 

Equipment has been replaced on local serving sites 4000 & 77239 which has improved the performance of them both. 

Work has also been completed behind the scenes to try and ease traffic onto other serving sites. This has lowered the traffic on Site 4000 and helped with a capacity issue. 

Further improvement will be made when Site 4000 is upgraded, however there's currently no planned date for this to take place. 

Therefore, everything has been done at this stage to improve the coverage in the affected location and future plans are in place for further upgrades 🙂

View more options

At Edinburgh airport again.  Seems better than before - just ran a speed test.  Phone showing full strength 3G.  Not rocket fast but just about usable for basic stuff.

Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 14.01.02.png

View more options

Edinburgh airport indoor service has been unusable for data for years.

View more options
1: Seeker

This is still an issue and has made arriving in edinburgh a nightmare. Actually took my phone to get checked after happened again yesterday but back at airport today and as soon as walk in building data starts dropping out.

View more options

I'm disappointed to see you're experiencing difficulty using our Network @Stewhunt. I've checked the 2 masts serving the area (4000 and 77239) these are both working as expected and have suffered no recent outages. If you're still struggling to connect, please try following the steps in our troubleshooting guide

View more options