Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

GU14 - Farnborough - Poor Signal strength

JDH
4: Newbie

I have major, ongoing problems with the signal strength at my workplace.  it affects both work and personal phones. The network checker shows no issues and indicates I should get full coverage 4G indoors and outdoors.  I sit in the corner of the building near many large windows.

1) Does the issue happen in just one location? If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service?

Variable - it happens within my office building, but the strength externally is not much better.  I do manage to get 2 bar 4G around 2-300 yards from the building. 

2) What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs?

GU14 6TQ

3) Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone?

Not tried my sim in a different phone, but my work phone is also Vodafone and shows same problems.

4) What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs?

I do not get a stable, full strength signal.  My signal is usually 1-3 bars 3G, I occasionally get 1-2 bars 4G.  I increasing get nothing but E, again at only 1-2 bar strength.  On E & 3G, I usually get almost no data throughput - getting "No Network Connection" errors.

5) Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all?

All

6) When did you first notice this issue?

Been ongoing for months, the increase in getting E signal shows it getting worse.  Very difficult to report as Vodafone don't accept the customer's word for getting poor service, I have to go through this hassle.

7) Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs?

Permanent.  Network performance marginally better first thing in the morning, but not enough to get excited about.

90 REPLIES 90

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@JDH - I’ve checked the coverage in your area and you should get good 2G, 3G and 4G.

Your local sites are all performing as expected and with no current issues.

If you change your phone’s settings to 2G only when indoors, does this improve things?

Also, what’s the coverage like outdoors?

Hi Jenny.  Well, 2G and 3G are useless as data barely works on those signal types.  I get 4G outside - but that is irrelevant - your network coverage shows I should get 4G indoors and outdoors.

Why should I set my phone to 2G - I pay for a 4G service which your website promises, but you fail to deliver.

just to add to my previous reply, I have now checked coverage outside. 1 bar 4G which flipped down to 3G as soon as I tried using the phone for anything.

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@JDH I'm sorry to hear you're still experiencing issues. 

So we can look into this further, please get in touch using the information in the private message I've sent. 

Seen the private message.  can't click where it clicks, nothing happens.

But, I getting seriously fed up of having to justify the poor service I am getting, not to mention repeating the same information over and again. You have the location. You have the details of the issue. It happens all day, every day, indoors and out on multiple phones, including mine and my colleagues.

If that isn't enough information, then when January 2018 comes, I'll be seeking a new provider for my personal phone.  Sadly, I'm stuck with you for my work phone.

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@JDH I'm sorry to hear this and apologies you've been experiencing issues with the private message from @Alex.

I've now sent another private message to you. Please let us know if you experience any further issues with any links and we'll be happy to help. 

Once we receive your details, we'll investigate this for you as soon as possible. 

Using IE11, I am unable to click and access any message form.  Like I say, if I get a chance to use another PC, I will try - otherwise I'll just have to accept I am going to get poor network performance until my contract expires....

Mundo2
4: Newbie

I am also having huge issues in the same location. Barely any voice signal and no data signal at all. There was recent maintenance on the mast and it hasn't been working since. I have contacted technical support who advised that there are no issues but there are. Nothing wrong with my phone as it works fine in other locations.

You are quite right Mundo2.  There is clearly something very wrong with the signal in Farnborough.  I travelled to London earlier in the week - sat in a basement office, I had only a 3G signal, but it worked fine.  Passing through Farnborough on the train, I had only a 3G signal - and it was dead, no data connection, nothing.

I can sit and look at my phones and watch them cycle through 3G and E, the odd GPRS and on very rare occasions, 4G.  By far the most unstable mobile signal anywhere.