Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

GU14 - Farnborough - Poor Signal strength

JDH
4: Newbie

I have major, ongoing problems with the signal strength at my workplace.  it affects both work and personal phones. The network checker shows no issues and indicates I should get full coverage 4G indoors and outdoors.  I sit in the corner of the building near many large windows.

1) Does the issue happen in just one location? If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service?

Variable - it happens within my office building, but the strength externally is not much better.  I do manage to get 2 bar 4G around 2-300 yards from the building. 

2) What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs?

GU14 6TQ

3) Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone?

Not tried my sim in a different phone, but my work phone is also Vodafone and shows same problems.

4) What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs?

I do not get a stable, full strength signal.  My signal is usually 1-3 bars 3G, I occasionally get 1-2 bars 4G.  I increasing get nothing but E, again at only 1-2 bar strength.  On E & 3G, I usually get almost no data throughput - getting "No Network Connection" errors.

5) Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all?

All

6) When did you first notice this issue?

Been ongoing for months, the increase in getting E signal shows it getting worse.  Very difficult to report as Vodafone don't accept the customer's word for getting poor service, I have to go through this hassle.

7) Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs?

Permanent.  Network performance marginally better first thing in the morning, but not enough to get excited about.

90 REPLIES 90

I've been out of the UK for a week on holiday, but now I'm back I will follow the instructions in the private message.

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@JDH Thanks for your email - As mentioned in my reply, I've now raised a case with our Network engineers under INC3028983 and I'll provide any updates in a reply to this thread. 

@aps78 As you're reporting the issue in the same location as the above user, you'll no longer need to contact us directly as the INC (above) has now been raised - any updates will be posted on here. 

I hope you had a nice little holiday out of the UK. :smileyhappy:

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@JDH – Just to let you know we’re still looking into this.

@aps78 - Our network engineers need some further examples, so I’ve sent you a private message with instructions on how to get in touch.

I have submitted the form as requested.

Today the issue is once again very apparent and very annoying - Any data reliant service (whatsapp, weather apps, browser) is insanely slow or unusable, returning messages saying 'You are offline'.  Despite my phone saying I have 2 bars of 4G.  Yet at my flat 8 miles away I have no issues with 4G - full signal all the time.

Vodafone, any update? 

Barely any data signal again today. Keep getting no Internet warning. 

I add my support to the above two comments, very poor data connection again.  Struggled to send emails and load apps.

Today its beyond a joke.

Amazon app - circle of death, followed by 'Please check your internet connection and try again'

eBay app - see above

BBC weather app - circle of death, followed by 'You are offline'

Whatsapp messages seem to send eventually, but only after a while.

All the while my data connection stays at 2 bars of 4G. Never goes above, occasionally drops below.  But usually a steady 2 bars.  Anywhere else 2 bars is enough to maintain reasonable connection, and doesn't slow down or prevent usual online data use.  But around GU14 post code, 2 bars can't even run basic mobile data apps, so there is clearly something wrong that is localised to this area!

@aps78 - I second your comment to the letter, for what it is worth.  Likewise, I never see more than 2 bars 4G - usually 1 if I am lucky.  Little or no connectivity in that circumstance.  3G little better - Sky News app refuses to work on 3G.

As you say, unquestionably a localised issue to this area as I don't experience it elsewhere.

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@JDH @aps78 @Mundo2

I can understand the frustration which this issue must cause. 

Earlier today I chased any updates on this issue and created a new investigation under INC3052832 - we'll be tracking this daily and will post any updates we receive in a reply to this thread. 

So, what is happening?  I first raised this issue in May.  It is now September.

The network status checker has been showing "There is a fault in your area we are trying to fix" for perhaps two weeks now.  The coverage checker still continues to indicate full strength 4G indoors and outdoors - a service now not received for months.

Is this ever going to be resolved, or do I need to just accept I will be seeking a new mobile provider come January?  I know o2 has a good signal here.