Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

GU14 - Farnborough - Poor Signal strength

JDH
4: Newbie

I have major, ongoing problems with the signal strength at my workplace.  it affects both work and personal phones. The network checker shows no issues and indicates I should get full coverage 4G indoors and outdoors.  I sit in the corner of the building near many large windows.

1) Does the issue happen in just one location? If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service?

Variable - it happens within my office building, but the strength externally is not much better.  I do manage to get 2 bar 4G around 2-300 yards from the building. 

2) What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs?

GU14 6TQ

3) Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone?

Not tried my sim in a different phone, but my work phone is also Vodafone and shows same problems.

4) What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs?

I do not get a stable, full strength signal.  My signal is usually 1-3 bars 3G, I occasionally get 1-2 bars 4G.  I increasing get nothing but E, again at only 1-2 bar strength.  On E & 3G, I usually get almost no data throughput - getting "No Network Connection" errors.

5) Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all?

All

6) When did you first notice this issue?

Been ongoing for months, the increase in getting E signal shows it getting worse.  Very difficult to report as Vodafone don't accept the customer's word for getting poor service, I have to go through this hassle.

7) Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs?

Permanent.  Network performance marginally better first thing in the morning, but not enough to get excited about.

90 REPLIES 90

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@JDH There's a site visit scheduled within the next couple of days, after this has taken place we'll have a better idea what to expect moving forwards. 

Why are we still waiting for a site visit when it has been not working for months?  What the hell are you guys playing at?  

@mundo2 - it's astonishing isn't it?  I cannot think of anywhere else I have experiences such a poor response to a complaint.

To give some idea of Vodafone's global reputation, I was on a business trip earlier this week with colleagues from various other countries.  One was telling an anecdote commencing with "I was in a mobile unfriendly area" Quick as a flash, I said "Oh, you're on Vodafone" and the whole table erupted with laughter and nods of understanding.

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Mundo2 There's a lot of tests and changes our Network engineers are able to do without physically visiting a site. 

@Alex wrote:

@Mundo2 There's a lot of tests and changes our Network engineers are able to do without physically visiting a site. 

None of which have resolved anything or identified the issue. No excuse. 

Any patience I had is gone - this is making me absolutely livid - This morning I can't even do a simple google search on my phone ('you are offline'), and whatsapp messages are taking upwards of 5 minutes to send.

This despite the presence of the usual 2 bars of 4g signal that are ever present when I'm at GU14 6XA.

Absolute joke.

@Alex wrote:

@JDH There's a site visit scheduled within the next couple of days, after this has taken place we'll have a better idea what to expect moving forwards. 

So, this site visit should be complete now so I think we are due an update from you. 

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Mundo2 @JDH @aps78 The site was visited. From the case update, I can see they've found an internal source of interference. 

There's now another site visit being arranged to go back and try to rectify this. 

@Alex wrote:

@Mundo2 @JDH @aps78 The site was visited. From the case update, I can see they've found an internal source of interference. 

There's now another site visit being arranged to go back and try to rectify this. 

OK, that's positive news but missing the date for when the second site visit is scheduled for to attempt to rectify the issue...assume it's ASAP and not in December sometime.

Another week (well, more actually since I last posted) has passed and..... what?  Status checker still shows an issue, no update here, still poor quality data signal.