Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

GU14 - Farnborough - Poor Signal strength

JDH
4: Newbie

I have major, ongoing problems with the signal strength at my workplace.  it affects both work and personal phones. The network checker shows no issues and indicates I should get full coverage 4G indoors and outdoors.  I sit in the corner of the building near many large windows.

1) Does the issue happen in just one location? If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service?

Variable - it happens within my office building, but the strength externally is not much better.  I do manage to get 2 bar 4G around 2-300 yards from the building. 

2) What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs?

GU14 6TQ

3) Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone?

Not tried my sim in a different phone, but my work phone is also Vodafone and shows same problems.

4) What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs?

I do not get a stable, full strength signal.  My signal is usually 1-3 bars 3G, I occasionally get 1-2 bars 4G.  I increasing get nothing but E, again at only 1-2 bar strength.  On E & 3G, I usually get almost no data throughput - getting "No Network Connection" errors.

5) Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all?

All

6) When did you first notice this issue?

Been ongoing for months, the increase in getting E signal shows it getting worse.  Very difficult to report as Vodafone don't accept the customer's word for getting poor service, I have to go through this hassle.

7) Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs?

Permanent.  Network performance marginally better first thing in the morning, but not enough to get excited about.

90 REPLIES 90

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@JDH @Mundo2 @aps78 Our Network engineer has advised me that INC3052832 for this issue has now been set to resolved. 

After extensive work on your local serving site, our engineers have fixed the fault and you should now see a significant improvement in the site performance. 

I'd like to again apologise for the length of time this has taken, however please do be sure to let us know how you get on 🙂

Is anyone seeing an improvement?

Not in the slightest. 2 bar 3G signal as at 11:33am on the 22 November - which means nothing is loading on my phone.

Don't know what the engineers think they have fixed, but it's not this!

Well Alex, I would say those engineers are wrong.

I have just done two speed tests, one outdoors, one indoors.

The outdoor one started with a 4G signal, but it cut into a 3G signal halfway through.  Ping was 30ms, download 3.35Mbps, upload 0.00Mps! Indoors (to repeat, I am sat at the edge of the building near plentiful windows to the outside.) Signal was only 3G. Ping 64ms, download 3.13Mbps, upload 0.01Mbps.  Indoor signal flickers from 4G to 3G - just as it always has.

Both speedtest results are completely unacceptable for the 4G service I am paying for.

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Thanks for letting us know @JDH, and I'm sorry to see you're still experiencing issues.

I've made our Engineers aware, and will be in touch with any updates they provide.

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

We'll need to complete some checks with you @JDH.

Unfortunately I've been unable to locate your email to us through the address registered on your Community profile.

Please reply to the latest email that you have from our team and we'll be able to investigate this further for you.

"We'll need to complete some checks with you @JDH."

Seriously????

*bangs head on desk in despair*

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@JDH - I’m sorry for the experience you’re having with this.

We need to take some details from you securely. Please get in touch with us, by following the steps in this private message.

We’ll then pass this onto our network engineers to be investigated further.

You know what?  I don't think I will.

From my experience, the "additional info" is almost identical to what I already posted at the start of this thread months and months ago.

My contract expires on the 2nd January and I'll be shopping elsewhere.  I have never, ever had such an obstructive, slow, unhelpful customer service from any company. Ever.

The issue I experience here does not replicate itself anywhere else to the same level, so I know it's the signal not my phone.  However, I do absolutely know that the Vodafone 4G signal has worsened steadily over time.  Even my daughter was telling me how her and her school friends were comparing phones and all the Vodafone ones had 3G or worse, whereas o2, EE etc all had 4G.

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@JDH It's a shame to hear you feel this way. 

We did previously raise an investigation with our Network engineers and the coverage fault in your area was rectified. 

I'm sorry to see you're experiencing issues again, if you do change your mind we'd be happy to look into this.