Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

GU14 - Farnborough - Poor Signal strength

JDH
4: Newbie

I have major, ongoing problems with the signal strength at my workplace.  it affects both work and personal phones. The network checker shows no issues and indicates I should get full coverage 4G indoors and outdoors.  I sit in the corner of the building near many large windows.

1) Does the issue happen in just one location? If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service?

Variable - it happens within my office building, but the strength externally is not much better.  I do manage to get 2 bar 4G around 2-300 yards from the building. 

2) What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs?

GU14 6TQ

3) Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone?

Not tried my sim in a different phone, but my work phone is also Vodafone and shows same problems.

4) What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs?

I do not get a stable, full strength signal.  My signal is usually 1-3 bars 3G, I occasionally get 1-2 bars 4G.  I increasing get nothing but E, again at only 1-2 bar strength.  On E & 3G, I usually get almost no data throughput - getting "No Network Connection" errors.

5) Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all?

All

6) When did you first notice this issue?

Been ongoing for months, the increase in getting E signal shows it getting worse.  Very difficult to report as Vodafone don't accept the customer's word for getting poor service, I have to go through this hassle.

7) Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs?

Permanent.  Network performance marginally better first thing in the morning, but not enough to get excited about.

90 REPLIES 90

Hi Alex.  I feel it appropriate to give you some feedback one last time.

On the back of the inability of Vodafone to correct the signal issues, I have now left.  The last speed test I did on your network  (using the Ookla Speedtest app) was in December and I got a ping of 98ms, 1.32Mps download and 0.00 Mbps upload!  My phone shows 1 bar 4G which usually fell back to 2 bar 3G if I tried accessing anything.

I have moved to BT Mobile (which uses the EE Network - but is good value if you are already a BT Broadband customer - take note people!) and came in today full of nervous trepidation.  I picked up and unlocked my phone (which I have kept) and...... a full 4 bar 4G signal greeted me.  I have just done a speed test on the same app and I am rewarded with a ping of 30ms, 71.6Mbps download (!!) and 22.1Mbps upload!  I am relieved and feel very vindicated that neither my phone nor the building I am in were the reason behind the poor Vodafone signal - it was absolutely the poor Vodafone signal at fault.

I think that these results should be fed back to your technical team and you need to consider how your netwrok can be so poor in the same location.