Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Google Pixel 5 SMS issues

jimbojack
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I'm having an issues sending SMS messages on my Pixel 5.

When I send an SMS message my phone displays "sending..." and it can take anywhere up to 5 minutes for the message to send, SMS messages are received instantly. This happens when sending messages over the 4G/5G network, if my phone is connected to 2G/3G sending is instantaneous. However if I'm connected to Wifi-Calling SMS sending fails despite my phone being on the compatible list of devices on https://www.vodafone.co.uk/network/calling-features/wi-fi-calling

I have also tried my SIM in a Pixel 3a and have identical issues leading me to believe that the issue is either with my account or Pixel related and I've also converted to esim in case I had a faulty SIM card.

I have tried disabling and re-enabling "4G & Wifi Calling" in account settings and this has made no difference however SMS sending was instant while this was turned off even on 4G/5G which leads me to the conclusion that this is some kind of IMS issue.

I've made multiple attempts to get this issue resolved with customer service but they refuse to acknowledge that SMS over Wifi exists even after I point them to the Vodafone website mentioned above.

This issue is only affecting SMS messages not chat messages (RCS).

This issue first appeared around the time when the rumours of SMS over Wifi calling first started to surface.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey there @jimbojack - Hmmm that sound odd! Since it's only on 4G/3G this could be a network issues. Have you checked your postcode in our network status checker to see if there is any work being done in your area? If there isn't any work showing on there could you fill out out initial network checks and post them back here please?

In regards to WiFi SMS you can check that WiFi calling/SMS is enabled here, also make sure you're on your phones latest software.

Thanks Evie, forgot to mention I've been having this issue in 2 different counties and this has been going on for months, there are no network issues.

My phone settings are correct and WiFi calling works as expected. 

I strongly believe it to be a Pixel related issue, however I can't get anybody to investigate it for me.

Thanks.

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Thank you for confirming that @jimbojack - I'm sorry to hear no one have been able to investigate this further before, I want to turn this around for you. Did you get the Google Pixel 5 direct through us?

When you've turned WiFi calling/SMS off do your SMS send over 4G/3G fine?

Have you tried turning off WiFi assist? To do this, head to Settings > Google > Network > Disable Wifi assistant.

Yes, I brought it direct from Vodafone. 

If I turn off WiFi calling in my phone settings SMS are still broken. If I turn it off in account settings then SMS functions as expected but I obviously lose 4G calling and WiFi calling.

The WiFi assist setting doesn't exist on my phone, I tried searching settings and no results.

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Do you have another device, other than a Google device, to try the SIM card in @jimbojack?

It sounds like your phone may be trying to connect to WiFi calling/SMS and 4G/5G network at the same time causing the delay in sending the SMS.

Not at the moment but I might possibly be able to test this in the next 2 weeks.

This issue still happens even when I'm not connected to a WiFi network, so I'm not sure that I share you hypothesis.

Thanks for your help.

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Okay @jimbojack - Let us know how you get on. In the meantime, it might be worth running through the below settings:

Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile Network > Disable 'Automatically select network' > Select a different network for a few minutes > Connect back to Vodafone UK.