main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle
Announcements
Keeping the UK connected is our main priority. Find out how we're doing thishere.
Close announcement

Network queries

IP Address keeps changing.

Highlighted
2: Seeker

Constantly changing my IP address is driving me round the bend, if I knew it was going to be like this I would never have change from Virgin.

Issue: my IP changes 4 -6 times a day, not much of a bit deal you say, and if it stayed in the same scope it would not be.
But vodafone puts me on 4 - 6 different scopes per day, I'm in London one minute Manchester the next. an every few minutes all my apps email me to say my account might have been compromised as I have suddenly changed location's. Please just give me an IP from the same scope, so my email does not get full of messages to say someone in London has just logged in to you account.

I have just had a message from Bit Defender telling me the wish me luck in retrieving my Dagthers laptop that has been stolen, they provided it's location by it's IP Address.

Located:by IP address 26 minutes ago

20 Lilac Square, Bournmoor, Houghton le Spring DH4 6EQ, UK

She is sitting 2 Mtrs away from me 30 miles away from that address with the laptop on her lap. 
This is because when you install bit Defender it works out your Location by your IP. It assumes your ISP is not going to play Roulette with your loacation.

View more options
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
17: Community Champion

It seems from looking at past posts the issue of not having a static ip isn't new @stevenrshort 

This is one of the threads I've come across that offers a workaround.

I'm however unsure of this one would help you.

broadband-queries/Keeping-same-dynamic-IP-address. 

If not I invite you to perform a forum search.

I wish you all the best with this situation. 

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone > Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B.

Samsung One Ui 2.1  / Android 10.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

Samsung Galaxy Buds.

View more options
Highlighted
2: Seeker

Hi Band 0f Brothers,
I'm not actually after a statis IP, and I already have a dyndns account.
The issue here is that it seems that the vodafone have lots of really small DHCP scopes, are rather than keep people assigned ot their closest DHCP scope they they are assigning them randomly.
They could amalgomate a lot of the smaller geographical scopes, into a larger superscope, that way you would not see the issues I am expiriencing. its a bit like roulette I don't know where my next IP is coming from, I'm currently getting mine from Durham that is not to bad. as its only 20-30 mile  however it's when it leeaps off to london, manchester, birmingham and even the isle of man. Each time I get emails to say because of the location change, they think that I am being hacked. In this day and age Vodafone should not be doing this, not only is it bad for their clients, it's bad for security as it affords annonimity to hackers as it mascarade their location, so thier attacks will move location with their IP.

View more options
Highlighted
17: Community Champion

I'm sorry the link didn't lead to some form of resolution for you @stevenrshort 

I can't check anything at my end as my ISP isn't Vodafone.

I hope you find some type of workaround.

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone > Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B.

Samsung One Ui 2.1  / Android 10.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

Samsung Galaxy Buds.

View more options