Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Ipad not picking up network at home

mainmarine
4: Newbie

why can't i get vodafone network on my iPad at home but the same Sim payg works on in my dongle at home, I have just been to the Vodafone shop and it works fine in there but the girl I spoke to said there were different sim cards for i pads and dongles. The sim  is a payg data sim which i have been trying to use since December 2016.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@mainmarine - Different networks operate on different frequencies - therefore the coverage provided by each provider does vary.

View solution in original position

58 REPLIES 58

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi

There are specific data sim cards available. 

And then sims that go in phones however these have the capability to work in tablets and ipads. 

Have you checked the apn settings in the ipad ?

https://support.vodafone.co.uk/Device-Guides/Office-and-leisure/Internet/48713305/Set-up-your-device...

Can you access the Internet on WiFi?

Also is Mobile Data turned on in the ipads settings. 

Try going into settings,general,reset,reset network settings. 

Do you see any 4g,3g icon in the ipads status bar. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hi I use wifi too on my iPad, there is just a "no service" next to the wifi fan.

I have the correct settings for payg, it works in other areas but not at home, I have been on to live chat twice with no joy and have been into a vodafone store today as suggested by the live chat operative and it worked fine in there, four strength bars.

BandOfBrothers

Hi

Can you fill out the network troubleshooting guide as this points back to your home postcode if it works OK elsewhere. 

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Network-queries/Network-issues-initial-checks-and-template/td-p/25405...

Current Phone  >

Post Title: De21

1) Does the issue happen in just one location? Yes,  ok after a few miles

2) What is the full postcode DE21 7SJ.

3) Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone,

It works ok in my dongle?

4) What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs? "No service"

5) Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all? All

6) When did you first notice this issue? Since i first used it

7) Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs? Permanent

BandOfBrothers

Your masts and indication for connection look to be ok going by the link > Vodafone Network Checker.

As things are fine when away from home both with the SIM card and iPad this leads to me thinking it's possible something in tbe home is causing issues such as thick walls and or mast congestion is occurring which is when lots of people are accessing the masts at approximately the same time. 

Current Phone  >

Thanks but why does the sim work in the dongle, I am typing this connected to the same SIM card in a dongle,it shows a good signal but if I put the sim in the iPad in the same place it will not pick up a signal.

The reason I bought the sim was to check the coverage at my home before I took out a monthly contract, judging by the service I get at home I will have to take out a contract with another provider

BandOfBrothers

You could pop into an Apple Store if you have one Local to have a diagnostic run on it, but saying that as you state the iPad works fine away from your home area , as does the sim. 

It's a conundrum to which I can't answer and you may find it self resolves hopefully. 

Current Phone  >

Thanks we have a local Apple dealer in Nottingham, I will let them have a look at it, I will let you know what they say

Thanks we have a local Apple dealer in Nottingham, I will let them have a look at it, I will let you know what they say