Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Ipad not picking up network at home

mainmarine
4: Newbie

why can't i get vodafone network on my iPad at home but the same Sim payg works on in my dongle at home, I have just been to the Vodafone shop and it works fine in there but the girl I spoke to said there were different sim cards for i pads and dongles. The sim  is a payg data sim which i have been trying to use since December 2016.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@mainmarine - Different networks operate on different frequencies - therefore the coverage provided by each provider does vary.

View solution in original position

58 REPLIES 58

Hi I have just been out in my car and when I drive for about 1/2 mile eastwards from my home, I get a signal just as I pass under the power cables from a local sub station, when I drive for about 1/2 a mile in a westerly direction, I again get a signal as I pass under power cables from the local sub station, this signal remains until I get to my back door, so the problem appears to be your signal being blocked by the nearby  power cables.

I have just received this message from Vodafone: "it looks like you have swapped your sim or updated your device. To continue using data and sending picture messages, you need to update your settings manually, as your device doesn't support automatic settings updates. Get started at vodafone.co.uk/settings info."

I have checked my settings and they are correct for PAYG sims, so what does this mean? 

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

The "it looks like you have swapped your SIM" message is a standard one that gets triggered when the network detects certain changes in the configuration of your setup.

If you haven't made a "significant" change, you can disregard it. For example, I recently swapped over two SIMs between two phones (change of mind as to which phone suited which account), and both phones received the message. As they were both PAYG accounts, no changes to APN were actually required, but the reminder to think about it can be helpful.

You mention that you have been swapping your SIM between two devices, one of which wasn't picking up the network. If you only did the swap in the area where the iPad doesn't detect the signal, presumably the network didn't pick up the swap. It sounds as though your exploratory drive resulted in the network picking up that the SIM was in a different device.

Thanks, I have left the sim in my iPad now, when I set it from automatic to manual network search at home, it cannot find Vodafone, only EE, O2 and Three. So obviously their signals are stronger at my location, I will try an EE sim as it finds their network first.

Rahim
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@mainmarine I've checked the postcode you've given and can see that you should be getting good 3G and 4G services from your local mast (4412).

As you've mentioned that your Vodafone SIM works fine when you use it in another device, there could potentially be a SIM delay when you're inserting your SIM in your iPad. 

I'd suggest performing a Network Reset on your iPad. 

Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you’ve used before.

Let us know how you get on. 

Hi thanks, I've tried that but  it's still not working, it still finds EE and Three but not Vodafone. I've requested an unlock code so that I can try another network 

Hi

I have been told by the unlocking team that I have to wait for a month and pay £19.99 to unlock my iPad, this after paying £15.00 for a PAYG  SIM card just to try out your network. Seems like a rip off to me.

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

There is NO FEE for unlocking on Payg or Pay Monthly. 

The criteria is that the Payg sim card is usedfor 30 days using data and topping up. On a phone this can include making calls and sending texts. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @mainmarine

Where did you purchase the ipad?

If the ipad was used with an alternative SIM before using the Vodafone SIM and you are able to use different network SIM's in the ipad, it won't be locked to Vodafone.

Having mentioned that Vodafone do not make a charge for unlocking, the only thing you would need to do would be to use the PAYG SIM in the ipad for 30 days before making the request.

Hi I purchased the iPad secondhand and was told it was used on Vodafone, I have tried an EE sim but it is not accepted.

This is the message I received from Vodafone:

To unlock your phone from our network you need to have been with us for at least 30 days. That means your SIM must have been used in your phone 30 days ago or longer. We insist on this as prevention against fraud.

What you need to do next

Once you&#39ve been with us for 30 days or more,  It&#39ll cost £19.99 to send you your network unlock code (NUC), so make sure you&#39re in credit by at least that amount when you send your form.

Thanks,

Vodafone Customer Services Team