main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Network queries

London Waterloo

4: Newbie
There is something slightly ironic sitting on a station platform
Surrounded by Vodafone adverts for your bigger better network and having difficulty logging into your forum to complain about it.
When are you going to do something about the network capacity

I tested the download speeds and it is sitting around 0.2
Mbps. Is that 1G or 4G.
View more options
54 REPLIES
17: Community Champion

Hi,

Is anything reported via the Vodafone Network Checker?

I appreciate how frustrating it is when signal fails, fringe coverage or intermittent connection presents issues. 

Every Network has fringe coverage and not spots. 

When i visit Scarborough I have to swap SIM cards and use another network for signal. 

Current Phone > Samsung Note 9 _512Gb > Model: SM-N960 Hybrid-Duos.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options
I'm afraid that is pretty much the norm at Waterloo. My guess the response from Vodafone would be that there are too many users of the network at peak time. However that should mean more investment in the infrastructure at key spots like train stations.
View more options
Moderator (Retired)

@davel199 Please try the steps in our Network Troubleshooting thread.

If you're still experiencing the issue after completing these steps, post the template with your answers here and I'll have a member of the team get back to you as soon as possible.

View more options

Hi Rahim, thanks for the guidance on the network troubleshooting template.

This isn't really a one-off issue. I've been travelling into Waterloo for years and it has always been a problem. It is annoying but something you just learn to accept at Waterloo. The tipping point for me and the reason I started this thread was blanketing all of the platforms in Waterloo with Vodafone advertising telling me how great the network is when at Waterloo that is far from the reality.  I get good download times in other parts of London but there is a significant issue at Waterloo. In my office near Tower Bridge I can get downloads of 15Mbps but I would be lucky to get 1 Mbps at Waterloo. I have 2 iPhone 6. Work and personal, both on Vodafone and both have the same issue at Waterloo.

Any thoughts.

View more options
Moderator (Retired)

@davel199 Thank you for raising this to us! 

If you'd like us to take a deeper look and see if there's any issues we can help with, please provide us with your results from our Network Troubleshooting thread.

View more options
Seriously 😀
Ok so let's suspend reality for a moment and pretend I'm not a valued customer that you want to keep. Who is taking time to tell you that you have a problem. You want me to cut and paste a piece of text into a forum to tell you the stuff that I have already told you before you will bother to investigate. Let's also assume that it is the 1990s and you haven't built an app called Net Perform that does all of this for you. So how about you go check out the data logged in that app for the location called London Waterloo. I've tested it several times in the last few days. Don't think I got above 1mbps yet but I'll keep trying. Let's bring reality back in and how about you put some effort into this. After all aren't you the service provider and I'm the customer.
View more options
Moderator (Retired)

@davel199 We'll need your results from the Network Troubleshooting thread in order to investigate this further. 

View more options
Awesome customer service. Ok I will play your game.

Post Title: 'First half of post code - Area' Don't know it is Waterloo Station

1) Does the issue happen in just one location? If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service? It happens specifically in Waterloo station on the platforms. I cannot tell if it improves because your coverage on the train lines out of Waterloo is sketchy at best.

2) What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs? If you don't want this showing on the eForum, add it to your profile here. It's a train station. I don't know the post code of train platforms.

3) Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone? What other phone? I have a work phone but I cannot put my personal sim in my work phone. The work phone has he same issue.

4) What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs? Really slow download speeds.

5) Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all?
3G and 4G

6) When did you first notice this issue? Has been happening for many months if not years.

7) Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs? Permanent. It always happens at Waterloo.
View more options
16: Advanced member

@davel199 wrote:
2) What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs? If you don't want this showing on the eForum, add it to your profile here. It's a train station. I don't know the post code of train platforms.

You will need to provide the full postcode as without it the eForum Team cannot look into the issue for you.  They need to postcode to narrow down which transmitter serves that area. 

PWIAC

View more options

Hi @davel199

From a Google search this maybe the postcode. 

Waterloo Rd, London SE1 8SW

View more options
Thanks for the advice. I think you will find that they can actually investigate it. They are choosing not to put any more effort into than absolutely necessary. I'm sure they know which transmitters are close to London Waterloo station. It isn't difficult. They are just being pedantic.
View more options

Not at all - a full postcode is always needed to narrow down the serving transmitter and check for faults. 

PWIAC

View more options
Sorry I don't get that. So you are telling me that Vodafone doesn't have a map of the UK with their transmitters located on it?
Is the data on Cellmapper.net up to date? Seems to show that there are 2 transmitters in close proximity to Waterloo. That took me all of 5 minutes to find without any technical know how. I'm guessing Vodafone would have better tools than that. Just seems like customer service. I've already logged multiple tests on Net Perform. Why don't they just access that data? It pinpoints within several metres where I was located at the time of test.
View more options

No, I am saying that they will need the postcode to look into the issue and check which transmitter serves the area.

PWIAC

View more options
Ok let's test that out. I'm sitting on a park bench in Hyde Park. What the post code for that? I'm on the beach in Brighton. Somewhere in the middle of the New Forest. There are endless places that don't fit neatly into a post code driven model. So Vodafone refuses to investigate just because there isn't a static address associated with the problem. That's ridiculous.
View more options
Moderator (Retired)

@davel199 We appreciate it may not always be easy to pin point an exact postcode for a certain location. 

The area you're experiencing slow data speeds is an area with numerous cell sites, which is why we always require as much specific information as possible. 

I've used postcode SE1 8SW to check the area for 3G/4G and can see that coverage is patchy, which will explain why you're experiencing slow/unusable data speeds. 

The site itself (1834) isn't showing any dips in performance, therefore the issue you're experience will be based on the sites capacity. 

View more options
2: Seeker

"Every Network has fringe coverage and not spots. "

What a load of rubbish, plenty of networks arounds the world offer network coverage many times better than Vodafone poor excuse. The posrter is taking about a lack of access at one of the largest station in one of the largest cities in the world and you think it is acceptable that Vodafone has patchy coverage. Unbelieveable what some people are prepared to swallow.

View more options
2: Seeker

You asked for suggestion - move your personal phone from Vodafone. I have an EE and Vodafone phone and EE coverage esp for data is incomparably better. I sometimes get over 100Mbps....

View more options

@Speedfriend wrote:

"Every Network has fringe coverage and not spots. "

What a load of rubbish, plenty of networks arounds the world offer network coverage many times better than Vodafone poor excuse. The posrter is taking about a lack of access at one of the largest station in one of the largest cities in the world and you think it is acceptable that Vodafone has patchy coverage. Unbelieveable what some people are prepared to swallow.

Hi @Speedfriend

Your certainly entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine.  

My experience comes as a Payg customer who uses all the networks including a MVNO. 

View more options