Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Mobile Phone Mast Planning Applications

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

We see a lot of posts on here from customers moaning about the coverage in their area - usually with good reason.

However, what people all too often forget about is that the networks always have an uphill battle with local authorities and resident during the planning process. We all want a good mobile signal but we don't want a mast anywhere near us. This story is typical

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/ashford-residents-never-right-object-9902290

As customers we need to get real - if we want to use phones we need to have masts in as many places as possible.

Or do we?  Thoughts?

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

59 REPLIES 59

jeffkinn

Your one person (gender neutral as is the current fad) campaign isn’t going too well is it. Perhaps that’s because your central tenets are flawed. Firstly, mobile phones haven't been a luxury for many years. They are now essential personal and business tools. As my 23rd soon to be accountant son said the other day, the idea that the only way of communicating with someone is by calling a landline in a building somewhere fixed to the wall with a cable and hoping they are in to answer it is ridiculous. Youth!! Today many businesses only give mobile phone numbers out and not

landlines. Barclays and their bank managers are a perfect example. Not a landline number in sight. 

I haven't had a chance to read the EU directives properly yet. Perhaps you like to give us a précis. They do seem to refer to workers and not consumers. There are of course many industrial processes that are potentially harmful to workers who are in far closer proximity to substances for a far longer time than consumers. We don’t stop painting cars for instance or adding sweetness to hot drinks. 

I make no comment on badgers being a city dweller who’s writing this on a mobile phone on a train from Essex to London where almost every passenger has a mobile device in their hands. 

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Trevelson It's not as simple as building wherever we want as we require specific planning permission from the relevant local council. 

Once this has been granted, at that point we'd go ahead with our work. 

We do share some physical mast locations with O2, however we use our own equipment to provide coverage. If you wanted to view more information on this, a Google search of 'Project Beacon' will bring it up. 

telecommunications companies are afforded permitted development rights and whilst communities may contest a mast , ultimately the build will go ahead.

Check the latest EU info on the subject of health...

Put simply, why can’t masts be further away, why do they have to be on every street, every corner, every roundabout.....

this is a country with a lot of unused rural land yet there is an insistence that masts are close to communities. I use EE and there isn’t a mast within sight, and yes I do get 4G.

ive the feeling that many telecommunications companies simply go for the cheap option..

how do others feel about that thought ?

Getafix
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member
Always want the benefit but never want to pay the price.
And only happens in UK.
Go to majority of the countries and start to end if a project is just slightly more than time to do the work.

Here in UK takes a generation in just consultation. And by the time they come round to doing it is too late.

DaveCD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

It's a great debate.

I understand that there are certain reasons people don't want masts everywhere because of potential health risks, or the fact it may be an eyesore.

However if you look at somewhere like Madrid, considered one of the most beautiful cities to visit and is covered in masts, compared to London then you can see why people say coverage is better over there.

At the same time, it's proven that people that live in Spain have a healthier and longer life than us brits.

They also have a lot more flexibility and less red tape to go through when applying for a mast location.

Just thought I'd throw that into the mix.

DaveCD

Jeffkin, without wanting to get off topic, I'm surprised that you have never seen a wifi router without an on/off switch. I only ever recall seeing one model with an external switch, and that was a long time ago. My current Netgear router doesn't. Switching of the wifi signal is solely via the router's control panel 'pages' in my internet browser. I would be genuinely interested to know if you come across any makes and models with external switches and could let me know.

Another problem for people trying to minimise exposure to EMF's is that some wireless modem/routers don't actually turn off the wifi when you think you are turning it off. The switch-off control disables the wireless information, but leaves the carrier wave still transmitting. BT confirmed this for me recently while they were trying to sell me a package.

jeffkinn

My BT Home Hub has an external on/off switch. Certainly the Draytek routers I've used a lot in the past have them as well. I don't have any other routers to hand to check.

I never turn my router off. I never turn my desktop off. I never turn my phone off.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png