main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Network queries

NB IoT Requirements and Band Usage

3: Seeker

Hi Everyone,

I work for an automated metering company in the USA, and we're aiming to develop international communication products for narrowband IoT. We would like to have our products connect to the Vodafone network in the UK, but we need to know the band usage and other network characteristics.

Does anyone have any information concerning the following?

• What LTE bands does Vodafone UK operate on?
  • What are the total radiated power (TRP) and total isotropic sensitivity (TIS) requirements for NB IoT devices in the used bands for each power class?

I know this might be off-topic here, but any information would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!

-Jordan

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Hey @jbesnoff - I'm probably not going to be able to help you very much I'm afraid. 

As far as bands go - on Vodafone, 5G coverage in the UK uses band n78 spectrum (3500MHz). 4G coverage is normally available on band 7 and band 20 LTE (2600MHz & 800MHz), with 3G coverage available at 2100MHz and 2G coverage available at 900MHz. I'm not sure if that's any use to you.

You could pop us a message over via one of our social channels. You can find more information on doing this here.

This way we can get you in touch with our Marketing team - they might be able to shed a little more light on your other queries! 

View more options
Highlighted
3: Seeker

Hi TJ,

Thanks for the reply and for the band information! I've actually since been in touch with both Vodafone UK and Vodafone Ireland and am in the process of getting the requirement information from them. The information I've gotten concerning band usage agrees with what you've posted as well.

Thanks again!

View more options
Highlighted

That's awesome @jbesnoff - I'm glad you've managed to get the details you were looking for! Best of luck 👍

View more options
Highlighted
16: Advanced member

Vodafone also operate LTE on 900MHz, 1400MHz, 1800MHz and 2100MHz. 

3G 2100MHz has all but disappeared in many locations due to refarming, leaving 3G on 900MHz for now. 

View more options
Highlighted
2: Seeker

Vodafone currently use:

LTE Band 7 (2600MHz)
LTE Band 20 (800MHz)
LTE Band 1 (2100MHz)
LTE Band 3 (1800MHz)
LTE Band 8 (900MHz)
LTE Band 32 (1500MHz)
LTE Band 38 (2600MHz)

Hope this helps, Vodafone's B20 10MHz (800MHz) is widely used in rural areas for widespread coverage, if this has any capacity issues, Vodafone usually add B1 15MHz (2100MHz).

In cities they'll add B7 20MHz (2600MHz) and then B32 Supplementry Downlink. They'll add the other bands in other cases.

They also have 5G running on NR n78.

VOXI also have identical speeds to Vodafone.

View more options