Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

NP44 – Cwmbran (Mobile WiFi)

Foss83
3: Seeker

My area has no fibre and the maximum broadband download speed is 1-2 mbps. However the 4G signal is excellent on Vodafone.

With this in mind I purchased a Vodafone mobile WiFi device on contract and was initially very happy with speeds of around 15-20mbps. However this has not been sustained and for a week or so I have been getting 0.4-1mbps from the device. It is now an expensive paperweight as browsing is painful at this speed.

Is there a cause for this? Can anyone help me? I have tried help via live chat and social media and was told to check for service issues, of which there are none in my area.

I own a Vodafone mobile phone as well as the wifi device. They can be next to each other and be getting hugely different download speeds. Surely that is not right?

Following the network issues template:

1) The device is only used in my home. So only tested there.

2) NP44 3AE.

3) I have no other devices to test the SIM in.

4) Very slow download speeds.

5) Device reports "vodafone UK 3G+"

6) First noticed a week ago.

7) Permanent issue.

10 REPLIES 10

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi,

Looking at the link > Vodafone Network Checker.

This notice is showing. 

"We've fixed an issue in this area recently. Sorry if you noticed any disruption - things should have been back to normal since 8.29am 31 Jan 2017"

It can occasionally take a few days for the masts to settle. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Preliminary checks indicate you should be getting a strong 4G signal, so your device should not be displaying 3G+. Turn the device off, disconnect all devices from it and power it up again and wait for a while and it should connect to 4G again.

3G 2100MHz and 3G 900MHz are both available in that area. 

Foss83
Thanks Pedro. The device always has always said 3G+ from the day I got it. Any ideas what might cause that?

PedroC1999
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member
Which mobile wifi device did you buy?

Foss83
It's an R216.

Rahim
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Foss83 You should be picking up a 4G signal from your local serving site (3540). 

Your 3G/4G serving site is operational, with no performance related issues or faults. 

So we're able to check you've got 4G enabled on your account, please contact our team via Live Chat

Keep us updated with how you get on. 

I spoke to a live chat advisor.

They did not go in to any specifics but said they had changed some settings on my account and asked for me to reset the device a couple of times. I did this and have seen no change.

The device still says 3G+ and the download speeds are really bad!! Take a look at the attachments - no other connected devices, good signal etc etc.

Retired-Tom
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Foss83 I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

Foss83
Hi Tom, Rahim, anyone? I haven't heard anything from tech support and my wi-fi device is still not working at it should.