main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Network queries

Network coverage getting worse

3: Seeker

I've been a Vodafone customer for a number of years now, one of the reasons for chosing this network was good coverage at my work. Sadly it's been getting progressively worse over the last few months.

The quality of 3G and 4G outdoors has decreased, I've been walking along the same woodland path next to my work at lunch time almost every single day for many years. Few months ago I could still listen to Spotify all the way or make a reliable call using Skype (my family lives abroad and this is the best time to call them). Since last year the connection started dropping, Spotify songs will take forever to load, websites will time out, skype calls pause or disconnect, signal strength indicator on my phone (Galaxy S7 Edge) drops, network drops from 4G to H or even E, which makes it pretty unusable. The vodafone coverage map shows very good and "reliable" outdoor access. This happens in the same parts of the area, there seem to be few dead spots where the signal just doesn't reach, even though the map is showing either 3G or 4G coverage.

The same happens indoors. When I renewed my cotract last June I could easily use the mobile internet inside the building. These days I need to keep my phone on a window sill even to receive a text message. I often get no signal at all on my desk just beside the window, which means missed calls and texts. I work in tech support here, when our phone system went down last week I couldn't even use my phone to call the provider, I had to balance it outside of the window and use a headset. The map says "Indoors and outdoors, you can expect to have a reliable connection for emails and the internet using a 4G-compatible phone, laptop or tablet. You can also expect good 4G browsing and download speeds.". Well, I can't even send a text message here on some days. A colleague sitting next to me with a latest iphone has exactly the same issue. It seems to be slighly affected by the weather, some days it works a bit better, some days worse. Right now my phone indicates H+ with zero signal bars, BBC website loaded painfully slow after retrying for few minutes. I wouldn't call it a "reliable connection".

It's not just a problem with my phone, many of my colleagues have been experiencing the same over the recent months, on a mixture of Android and Apple handsets.

Perhaps the issue is caused by some new buildings erected nearby, perhaps it's an issue with Vodafone network itself.  As you can imagine this is extremely frustrating. I really don't want to waste time on calling a support located few thousands miles away to listen to the same script as it's clearly not an issue with my phone since other people are affected.

The post code I'm at is EH26 0PZ. Are there any plans to upgrade the network in this area? If not, what are my options? I really don't see a point in paying for a service I am no longer getting for the next 13 months until my contract expires. The supply of goods and services act 1982 describes this very scenario.

View more options
28 REPLIES 28

Here is my phone's signal, sitting on a destk about 50cm from the window, compared to the coverage map. Another device (iphone 7) in the same office also has no signal.

screen1.jpgscreen2.JPG

View more options

Me too. See my complaint about walking along the seafront in Brighton (where I live). Any time the sun brings the crowds out orcthere is a London to Brighton something or other, the data drops out and can’t even get a radio app to work. I walked the full length from Hove to the Marina. Ok at both ends but nothing in the crowded middle. 

View more options

I've noticed the same in Edinburgh, the signal drops quickly in crowded areas. I could live with that but my work is in the middle of nowhere. Recently my daughter hit her head in school and was bleeding. The school called my wife to pick her up, she couldn't so she tried to call me several times which went straight to the voicemail because of no signal in my office. I only got the "you've got a message" text much later. Thanks, Vodafone, I'm paying premium over some budget network and get a service beyond theirs.

Has anyone tried cancelling their contract based on the fact that the service they signed up for is no longer there?

View more options
4: Newbie

@user1005 wrote:

Has anyone tried cancelling their contract based on the fact that the service they signed up for is no longer there?

Yes. Numerous times.

1. They will never admit there is a problem (it's always at my end or with my phone or I'm seeing things)

2. I get "something" so there are no grounds for early termination of contract

View more options

@user1005 - I’m sorry to hear about your daughter’s accident and hope she’s ok.

I’ve checked the local 3G and 4G serving sites for postcode EH26 0PZ (numbers 3245 and 7415). There aren’t any faults showing.

Our coverage checker should be used as a guide only, as this is a computer generated predication. After taking a closer look at the area, the 3G and 4G signal is patchy.

With you saying you’ve noticed a difference in the last few months, we’d like to investigate this further. Please send us your details by following the instructions in this private message.

@chrischammond – @TJ has replied to your  post.

@highpriest – I've replied to your other post here.

View more options
1: Seeker

It's exactly mine experience too!

I am Vodafone mobile customer on my second contract, and while the coverage was perfectly fine during my first 2 years with them, it declined drastically in the past few months.

All the conditions are the same: same work & home address, no new buildings around, nothing like that. And while I was getting fair 3G coverage (2-3 bars) at home, and excellent 4G at work, now my experience is exactly like yours. I can barely make a phone call from home, and 4G coverage at work is much worse. Same experience on all Vodafone handsets in the same area. Sometimes I can't even browse facebook or youtube on 4G (!!!). I am making video calls (facetime or messenger) home from work on daily basis, and I can't even do that in the last few weeks, connection is that bad.

I have tried the customer service several times now, always getting the same reply... They are very sorry that I am experiecing coverage issues (yeah, I am sure they are), they are "updating network settings on my phone"(seriously???), then I am being asked to restart my phone and wait 24 hours. Of course nothing happens, I chat with them again, just to have the exact same conversation. Last time I was promised someone from "technical team" will call me back in 48 hours. That was 2 weeks ago. I am still waiting for that phone call.

I am extremely dissappointed with the quality of service now. When I have signed up for Vodafone back in 2016, it was completely different experience. Network coverage was rock solid, and the customer service was there for me (had a small issue at the beginning of my contract, it was resolved quickly). This is the most expensive network in Ireland, but I knew what I was paying for. Now I feel basically like "suck it up and pay the bill". They could not care less. I am really, really frustraded at this stage, and at the same time I know there is no chance in hell I can do anything to change this. I have signed up for a new contract so... "suck it up and pay the bill". 20 months left.... It's a shame, because I thought this is a premium network. Well, maybe it was, but something has changed, I guess cost cutting is everwhere.

Oh, and it gets better: I am Vodafone Broadband customer too, I have experienced decline in service there roughly about the same time as on mobile. Luckily, my contract for broadband expires next month, and I am definitely moving to another provider. Vodafone doesn't care anyway.

best regards

One very frustrated customer.

View more options

@Marcin80 It's disappointing to hear you've had problems with the signal in your area in recent months. We'll be happy to take a look into this for you and see what may be causing the issues you're facing. 

Please try the steps in our network troubleshooting thread. If you're still having trouble with your signal after completing these steps, post the template with your answers here and a member of the team will get back to you as soon as possible 😊

View more options

Agree with everything said above. It’s blindingly obvious that the cell size needs to be reduced. It’s not ‘occaisionally’ that we have problems with ‘events’   Brighton hasn’t ‘just’ become popular. We were one of the first places to get 4G for this reason. I believe Vodafone has become a network provider for another service  without increasing the capacity, or taken on a contract with a large organisation with the result that existing customers suffer. Not good enough. 

View more options

This is a joke. I live in an area showing full indoor and outdoor coverage for 2G 3G and 4G and I struggle to make a phone call. Postcode is RG4 9SY.

Unfortunately people make decisions about which phone network to pick based on the coverage map. If you are saying the map is a guide only why can’t customer’s cancel contracts if the signal is bad as the contracts were entered into based on misleading information. I complained at the local Vodafone store and was offered the opportunity to purchase a sure signal for over £100. So I have to pay for a sure signal, a landline and fixed broadband so I can use my mobile 4G service (which I am also paying for). Sorry No! 

View more options

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing problems when trying to connect to our network @Crofted. I've checked your local coverage and although there are areas around you where we only guarantee a service outdoors, the service at your postcode is stronger and should be available both indoors and outdoors. I can see the mast service your postcode (#67423) is working as expected and hasn't experienced any outages recently. To help us investigate you issues further, please follow the steps in our Troubleshooting guide. If you're in the first 30 days of your contract, you can cancel your service using our 30-day Network Guarantee. I can see you were advised about a Sure Signal when you visited your local store, this costs £69 and will provide all registered Vodafone users with a stable 3G service. If your phone's compatible, you can also add our Wi-Fi Calling service to your account. This will allow you to make and receive calls whenever you have a WiFi connection.

View more options

@Mark - I just rechecked your signal checker and it is purple and the key indicates this is indoors and outdoors. This is what is was when I took out the contract. I am now beyond 30 days because I keep getting lied to and told to try things like Wi-fi calling ( which needed a handset upgrade and is not a good implementation anyway). Worse than Skype and WhatsApp. What is the point of paying for a mobile phone if I need fixed broadband to make phone calls. My son has Sky Mobile which is cheaper and contract free and gets a good signal. I thought Vodafone was Premium.

View more options

@Crofted I appreciate how frustrating this must be for you and I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused. We'll be more than happy to take a look into what may be causing the problems with the signal in your area. Please complete the steps @Mark mentioned in our network troubleshooting thread and post your answers here. 
Once we have this we'll be able to advise you further. 

View more options

Yet AGAIN, in Brighton town centre today, 100m from the Pier, I could get no data signal. Not even enought to register onthe speed app. I moved 200m and started to get a signal.  Photos below. This continues to be unacceptable. 

Before you ask, I did a hard restart on my iPhone X, and reset all network connections.IMG_5772.pngSpeedcheck readoutIMG_5766.pngGoogle maps not working

View more options

@chrischammond Our Engineers are aware of the issue in the Brighton area regarding data speeds and there are a number of long-term improvements that are coming. These will show on our network status checker as planned maintenance.

While we're unable to confirm when these changes will take place, any planned future improvements will appear on our checker so we recommend monitoring the page.

View more options

Well that’s good to know, but a year or more of this is already unacceptable and in the last week data has largely disappeared in the area of Brighton Marina where it has been good up to now. This is where I live and now I can’t get enough speed to run a radio channel on the internet. I’m paying for this non-service and have purchased an EE payg SIM to check they’re network. If it’s better I shall be asking to leave my Vodafone contract after MANY years with you. 

View more options

I have been with vodafone for over 10years and always had a brilliant signal in my kitchen, irrelevant of phone manufacturer.  I have had my latest phone, Apple, for 18mths and for the last 3mths my phone is either one bar, where I apparently sound like a darlek or i get a text message for a missed call.  LE9 6UR, what has happened?

I now have to jump up as soon as the phone rings and take it to another  room to hopefully get a signal before i lose the connection.

View more options

I'm sorry to hear you've been having a problem connecting to our network @P_E_M. We've no issues in your area at the moment. The mast serving you (14175), is working as expected and has experienced no recent outages. So I can take a more detailed look into this, please confirm:

- Does the issue happen in just one location? If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service?

- What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs?

- Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone?

- What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs?

- Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all?

- When did you first notice this issue?

- Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs?

View more options

Thank you for your quick response, in answer to your questions:

The poor signal is predominately in the kitchen/diner - if I walk 10metres into the next room I can get 2 bars, but its still not as good as it used to be downstairs.

Upstairs is full bars (and always has been excellent - but I cannot run upstairs to answer my mobile)

Full postcode: LE9 6UR

I do not have another phone to try the sim experiment with today, but my phone is only 18mths old and has all the latest upgrades on it

I have previously checked with my son when he visits, he has the same phone, on vodafone and he also has 1 sometimes if he walks around he can get 2bars

No errors are heard or seen - I just have one bar or not enough signal for the phone to call and get missed call text messages

Within my house my phone is on virgin wifi and therefore no 3G or another is showing whilst inside the house.

I first noticed this issue about 2mths ago and it is becoming worse over the last 2-3weeks

The poor signal is permanent whilst in the kitchen/diner.

No new appliances or anything which could affect the signal have been installed.  I am on the same virgin wifi for the last 12mths, no buildings have been erected near my house in the last 6mths

Do you need to know anything else?

It just seems weird that I had a great signal and now struggle to get a decent coverage when nothing has altered.

View more options

Thanks for coming back to us with those details @P_E_M.

I've taken a look into the coverage in the area and this does look to be patchy for 2G, 3G and 4G.

You've mentioned that in other areas of the house (such as upstairs) that your signal is better than when you're in other rooms. Sometimes factors such as building materials can affect your service.

As you've mentioned that you've noticed no changes outside of your home (with no recent building upgrades) and there's been a change in your signal over the past couple of months, I'd like to raise this with our Engineers to investigate further. So we can do this, please follow the steps that I'll be providing in the private message that you'll receive shortly.

View more options