main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle
Announcements
Keeping the UK connected is our main priority. Find out how we're doing thishere.
Close announcement

Network queries

Network query - PL4 area (Plymouth)

Highlighted
11: Established

So, about 6 months or so ago, it appears the local street works mast (postcode PL4 7DY I believe) stopped transmitting 4G. 2G and 3G are absolutely fine. 4G is here but very weak (supplied by a neighbouring mast I expect).

The website has stated there is an issue in the area for quite some time, with no signs of movement. However, a few months ago, planning permission was granted for a new 5G capable streetworks mast to replace the old one, so I understand the reluctance to fix the old mast if it’s being replaced.

Within a fortnight of the planning permission being granted, Vodafone engineers were outside the mast drilling exploratory holes and marking the ground for cabling etc.... then that’s it. No-one has visited the site since and that was a couple of months ago.

How long does it take for work to commence normally?

View more options
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
17: Community Champion

It can depend on a multitude of things @simax such as parts and engineers etc to which Vodafone wouldn't divulge with the general public in regards to this.

Network-queries/2-Why-can-t-you-give-me-a-timescale-on-the-fix. 

You can set up to get alerts in the status-checker as I'm sure your aware.

I can see from checker there are still issues in your area.

Are you able to use Calling Over Wi-Fi or even a Sure Signal if you can get your hands on one in the interim ?

I hope Vodafone get this resolved ASAP for you and others in that area.

🌈 Stay Safe & Stay Alert.  🌈 

Current Phone > Samsung Note 20 5G - SM9860 Snapdragon.

Samsung One Ui 2.5  / Android 10.

View more options
Highlighted
11: Established

Thanks for the reply. It’s no big deal to be honest as for the last 9 months my Vodafone sim has been used as a backup in my iPhone XS Max. I’ve been using an EE e-sim as my main contract on it. However I’m porting my EE number over on Tuesday to the Vodafone sim so I thought I’d ask some generic questions with regards to the site upgrades. 

My main reasons for making Vodafone my main line are:

1) WiFi calling on EE is terrible. Our signal on EE is quite poor indoors and we have 76mb fibre broadband - even so, WiFi calling drops and hangs calls left right and centre. I doubt I’ll have much use for it on Vodafone anyway as it’ll hand down to 3G mid-call anyway (unlike EE).

The Vodafone mast up the road will (eventually) be upgraded with 4G hopefully reinstated on it. In the house I get full 2G/3G at the moment so is sufficient for calls.

2) EE have changed the way WiFi calling works on their network. I need to have little or no EE signal at all for WiFi Calling to kick in and then as soon as a weak signal returns, it disappears. Vodafones upon testing seems ok and remains on regardless. As stated above, I’d probably not use it anyway as signal is so good at home normally on Vodafone.

3) EE have also stopped handing calls off from 4G to 3G which is a pain in the backside when you’re on a train or hands free in the car and you lose 4G signal. So dropped calls have increased for me.

So, as much as I commend EE for having quite possibly the best data network in the UK, practical use for me has become intolerable and Vodafone actually seems to perform better when travelling on trains too - plus the mast just up the road this was a no-brainer for me.

View more options