Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Network speed purposely crippled?

hamsterinmyface
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Joined Vodaphone last week on a 4g sim-only plan.

Max speed I got was 3mbps - coming from Virgin where I got 40mbps this seemed odd.
Tested in various places including centre of Oxford and Milton Keynes where you'd expect decent service. No change.

Funnily enough spotify seems to work fine, even on 3g - but internet constantly says no signal and speed tests show awful speeds.

Tech support no help - did all the resets etc but no change.

Could this be crippled? I am on a cheap deal which is one of their hidden "basic" deals of 15GB for £8 a month.

4 REPLIES 4

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @hamsterinmyface 

There is a previous thread here: https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Pay-monthly/Data-speeds-on-Sim-only-contract/td-p/2691829

Basics come with a speed cap, although some members claim they are able to claim full speed but you won't get 5G.  See here: Basics 

In that second link it claims "Basics plans access the best possible download speed on our award-winning 4G network🤔

I've since cancelled and gone back to Virgin.

Yes, you will find plenty of conflicting information on the Vodafone website. On one page it will say that there is no speed cap, on another it says there is. Some people are paying Vodafone £20 plus a month and are restricted to just 2Mbps lol

WelshPaul
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

I have been getting pretty awful speeds as of late with Vodafone. Somewhere between 2 - 4Mbps!

Don't think I will be renewing with Vodafone TBH... I have two SIM only plans with ID Mobile (Kids use them) and they get 5G speeds of just under 300Mpbs and data roll over for the same price i'm paying Vodafone.