Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Network upgrades on website

guycashmore
4: Newbie

Hi,

Since June 2016, the Voda coverage checker web page has been saying 'We will be upgrading the coverage here in the next 3 months' when I enter my postcode EX20 4QH and click on 2G.

Obviously 8 months have gone by, but still no upgrade here..

Also, why only a 2G upgrade, what happened to the 4G roll out?

Anyone?

21 REPLIES 21

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi

I know how frustrating it can be when trying to access. Networks services and then hindered by network issues or signal coverage. 

There is some information in this link and there is some further information from Vodafone on how they are investing daily in their infrastructure. 

Unfortunately every network still has fringe coverage and not spots. 

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Network-queries/Network-queries-frequently-asked-questions/td-p/2540...

I hope things improve for you ASAP. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks, but that doesn't really answer the question, does it. It's just corporate waffle.

Hi

It's information that's freely available from Vodafone. 

I'm not convinced Vodafone would engage with you personally to let you know of their schedules as per some of the information in the link. 

You could fill out the Initial Templates page so that Vodafone Tech here can take a look at the answers and advise according. They'll also feedback this up the chain. 

Again as a fellow customer I hope this is resolved for you and any others affected asap. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Nabs

That's a really odd one! The checker is indeed showing a change in coverage but obviously 8 months is far longer than it should take.

I'm guessing you haven't noticed any change in coverage around you?

My guess is that there was a planned upgrade that is being held up in some way... there is often difficulties accessing a mast, especially in rural areas however it shouldn't take 8 months to resolve! 

I'm sure one of the he eforum team will be able to take a look at the surrounding masts and see if there is anything odd going on with the that may be the cause of any issue.

Beyond that there isn't really much you can do I'm afraid. The team usually pick up posts in a day or two so sit tight 🙂

The mast is just up the road, I drive past it most days, currently it is only serving O2 customers. I am guessing this work is supposed to happen as part of the service 'join up' between the two networks. When the upgrade first appeared on the Voda website back in June, it was actually saying that it would be both 2G and 3G, however now it is only saying 2G sadly,

for O2 customers it is 2G only so this would make sense..

The predicted Voda coverage is centred around this mast according to the map, it really has to be this one. 

Still really bad Voda signal here, even though I can see this mast from my house, so fairly certain it hasn't happened.

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@guycashmore Apologies for the inconvenience, this appears to be an issue with our Network status checker, this has been fed back and it should update shortly. 

I've checked the coverage in your area and can see that it is extremely limited. 

To help with coverage indoors, check out Wi-Fi Calling or our Sure Signal. 

Thanks @Alex

So are we not getting any upgrade in my area?

And I'm guessing this plan - which was supposed to be finished by 2015 - is no longer happening?

http://blog.vodafone.co.uk/2012/11/20/better-coverage-fewer-masts-your-complete-guide-to-our-network...

Thanks

Guy

Nabs

@guycashmore that plan is still happening, just appears to be taking longer than initially anticipated. Several sites near me have been merged in the last 6 months and now all bar 1 previous O2 only sites are transmitting Vodafone as well. Likewise, former Vodafone only sites are now transmitting for O2 as well. 

I'm not sure what council area you are in but it may be worth having a look at their planning application portal to see if you can identify an open or under review application that would cover the area? 

It could also be an issue getting access to the mast to actually perform the upgrade... I have seen instances in the past where landowners refuse access to a site (for whatever reason) or there have been issues with wildlife making the site their home which prevents engineers being able to get to the mast.

Thanks @Nabs,

No problems with access, it is right by the road side, doesn't even have a security fence around it, we are very rural and friendly here, nobody would vandalise it because we all use O2 and all depend on it, no other network has signal here...

Haven't been any planning application either, I would see the notices.

Just looks like we are last on the list, but why is it on the Voda website as a planned upgrade?...