Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

No 4g abroad

amh13
4: Newbie

Hi, I have been in italy for 3 days now and I cannot get 4g on my phone. Only 3g. I have tried forcing my phone onto Vodafone IT 4G, but it only goes to No Service before reverting back to 3G. I am near switzerland so I tried selecting swiss operators, but I had the same issue, even though there is strong 4G signal. I have spoken about 5 times in the chat, and they reset my 4g settings, checked my account, but nothing. I also tried the sim in different devices, but again - only 3g. Whenever I enter an area with 4g coverage, my phone goes to No Service for about 5 minutes before going back to 3g again. I have performed a network reset on my device, i have taken the sim out for 30 minutes, restarted the phone, but the issue remains. 3G is very slow here because it is a touristy area and speeds often drop below 1mbit. I tried a local Vodafone IT sim card, and my phone immediately connected to 4G with a full signal and excellent data speeds.

49 REPLIES 49

donnyguy
16: Advanced member

So it's definitely an issue with your account. Someone else has reported the same issue whilst roaming in Spain: http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/iOS/4G-abroad/td-p/2564668

If you're getting nowhere with the chat team, I'd call +44 8080 044 900 and speak to them. They're the complaints team (which by definition is an expression of dis-satisfaction which is what this is), they will get this logged with the relevant technical team in the hope of getting it sorted before you come home.

They said they will forward the issue to the technical team and my 4g should be working within 24/48 hours. I seriously doubt it will, as they said the technical team will probably just reset my 4g settings (again). However they assured me that this should solve the problem. Again, I don't think it will as the issue is with the account and simply resetting my settings isn't doing anything. So basically I am left with barely any internet connectivity on the network that boasts "unthrottled 4G roaming". 

amh13
4: Newbie

Hi,

I'm currently in Italy and have been here for 3 days now, however I only get 3G signal even though all mobile operators offer 4G in my area. I have even tested a local Vodafone Italy sim and it immediately connected to 4G+ (lte advanced) with a full signal.

In the town I'm in I also pick up Swiss operators, and tried all of them, but again - only 3g, even though 4g signal is available. 

I have tried resetting my sim (through the vodafone chat), updating 4g settings on my account, tried different phones and the issue remains. I only signed my vodafone contract last week, and whilst in the uk, 4G worked without any issues.

My phone will often detect 4G and try to connect, but fail and revert to 3G after about 5 minutes of searching/no service. This happens everytime I enter an area with 4g coverage.

I especially signed up with Vodafone because of their 4G roaming and am very disappointed to see that it doesn't work. 3g speeds often drop under 1mbit (it's not throttling, since the italian sim behaves in the same way), whilst 4g+ reaches 130/140mbits, sometimes over 150.

There must be some issue with my account, since I have this problem both in Switzerland and Italy where i KNOW there is good 4g signal.

I set my phone to automatic network selection and forced it onto LTE-only mode, however this morning I still had the message No Service-emergency calls only

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @amh13

Vodafone have no control over an overseas network and Vodafone Italy is entirely a separate network and it would be impossible for Vodafone UK to check the porformance of an overseas network.

Although your UK network gives access to foreign networks for roaming purposes, enjoying the same service as you would in the UK can never be guaranteed.

4G internet access is available in EU destinations and it's the decision of the foreign network  as to whether the service is provided to customers using the network for roaming.   You are still able to call and text and use the internet although slower.

Hi, I have also been in Switzerland and I have the same problem there as well. So you are telling me that in 2 countries where 4g roaming is clearly stated as available, it isn't?

donnyguy

Hi AnnS,

The original poster has tested the Vodafone IT using a different sim card and picks up full 4G service meaning the problem is with his Vodafone UK account.

Also as there's other posts by others stating they're having problems accessing 4G overseas in Italy, Switzerland and Spain then it's safe to say there's something that needs looking into.

The good news is I'm sure the tech team will do this. You'll see on the most recent thread where customers were complaining about 4G speeds when roaming and Vodafone were able to confirm there's a problem and fix it.

Hopefully the tech team will do that for you here as well.

AnnS

Hi @donnyguy

I noticed there were no problems accessing 4G when a SIM from the country was used.

Vodafone advertise 4G as being available in these countries, only hope that does not mean overseas networks are not restricting roaming customers to 3G.

donnyguy

I can't see that being the case here. After all, networks sign bi-lateral 4G roaming agreements so they have no reason to restrict service to each others customers.

The reason why I think this needs looking into further is there's now various threads with customers complaining they can't access 4G whilst abroad (with one mentioning all was fine until June 2017)  in at least three countries which would indicate there's a fault that Vodafone need to look into as handsets aren't the problem nor is coverage at the destination.

That and the fact many customers reported speed problems whilst abroad (again, which seemed to take effect from June 2017) which resulted in Vodafone investigating and fixing the fault after the forum and Twitter filled with complaints.

So I'm think faults should be logged so this can be looked into rather than shifting the blame onto the foreign networks. After all, if they were denying roaming customers 4G coverage then they'd be breaking the commerical agreement that they signed with Vodafone UK.

Vodafone specifically advertise 4G abroad. It would be fine for me if 3g worked decently, but this evening for example I am getting around 0.2mbits in download. Again, i tried my vodafone IT sim and whilst 3g performance is the same, on 4g I'm getting around 50mbits. And this is the case in many places, as Vodafone IT is now using a large part of their 3g frequencies for 4g.

There appears to be no throttling on the 3g network since performance is identical on local and foreign Vodafone sims.